Inlet rubbers

Sheep

Guys,how long should inlet rubbers last from new?...yes its bit of an odd question but Im sure it should be longer than 6 months!!...

I have been having issues on and off with my carbs although up until recently i thought it was sorted.I then came back from holiday and wanted to take the EFE out for a spin only for it to start playing up again.Tonight i used a set of carb balancers deciding the bench synch wasn't quite good enough.

I couldn't really get all the dials to match number 3 so i went for a happy medium and left it at that.It wasn't until i went to check the jubilee clips on the rubbers i noticed one had split!!!....In fact all but one was on its way out!..

I paid £90 for genuine Suzuki rubbers back in Spring and expected them to last some time.I hadn't done up the jubilee clips too tight as far as i know and i wouldn't have thought the 'pulsing' would have caused it either..

Any thoughts or recommendations....does anyone have any other ideas ie Samco type hoses etc or is it simply a case of buying some more of the same?

That is really strange that the manifold rubbers have split.. I have used new ones in the past before on both my bikes,  and they are still like new today.. I can only assume Suzuki must have changed something in the manufacturing recently, maybe the type of rubber? Maybe it isn't ethanol resistant anymore?

I'd certainly contact the dealer you bought the rubbers from, not just for the refund but to find out if Suzuki have indeed altered the type of rubber.

I've never been in favour of using anything other than (modified) stock manifolds. Some like the silicon Samco hose though, but these create steps in the intake tract. If that doesn bother you, it might be the solution for you.

Else try locating NOS manifolds.. shrug_n2.gif

They shouldn't spilt after 6 months. What jubilee clips are you using? I use the standard OEM steel ones because they sit in the recess perfectly and they dont distort the rubbers. If the clips are the stainless type that are on the wide side they can cause a lot of distortion. Are you using a cable tie to support your RS carbs at ghe back?  A combination of carb droop and badly fitting jubilees could be a possinle cause, although I have done both in the past without a tear.

The old ones i replaced them with were slightly cracked and pretty tough and unforgiving which made the job of getting the carbs on and off a lot harder hence the reason for new ones....these are a lot softer to the touch but i don't know if that is normal or not.

I am using stainless jubilees which came on the bike on both the head side and carb.Neither were over tightened in my opinion.

When the engine is running i do notice the bellowing whereas the old ones didn't hardly move.

There is some flex up and down from the bank of Mikuni's (RS) which i guess could contribute towards early fatigue but i guess bracing it isn't a good idea.

I reckon i will contact SPS to see if they can shed some light.Cheers guys.

Ps..i have noticed they all split next to the raised 'ring' which sits into the groove on the head stubs,which is directly in the centre of the jubilee clip....the RS's don't have one,but two smaller grooves to locate the rubbers although this has never seemed to be an issue.

Edited by Sheep

The new ones compared to your old ones will seem soft as the old ones have had 20-30 years to harden / stiffen up. Personally i'd say the jubbly clips aren't helping - the edges are sharp not dressed or rounded like most OEM clips so can cut the more flexible rubber which will 'balloon' more with intake pulsing but 6 months is pretty poor whatever the cause!

My efe motor is still fine on the original 30 year old carb rubbers. They need putting in hot water then drying off and fitting quickly to get the carbs on but otherwise fine. I think the comments above are probably correct in stating that it is best to stick with the stock clips. The stock efe clips are impossible to overtighten.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

not when non-standard clamps are used. As said before, they f*ck up the rubbers.

I always use the narrow type (9mm or less) stainless clamps that fit into recesses of the manifolds  nicely.. Clamps from Norma are particularly nice because of their radiused edges that prevent cutting into the rubber..

NormaHoseClampsOver40m.jpg

But as always take care not to over tighten the clamps.. (just nip up, keep as loose as possible).. And support the set of carbs with zipties or whatever from the frame tubes above..

• Like 1