Identifying a GSXR1100 engine

Wagola

Hi All, I've got a GSXR1100 engine Harris and the engine numbers have been changed to HP------, not the original Suzuki numbers. How do I tell what model of engine I have ? The clutch case/cover is stamped with '4000ml' if this helps ? What are any other identifying features ? Cheers all.

only way to really tell is to take some covers off .

if the top of the starter clutch cover is straight at the top its early gsxr should have 1052 on the bottom of the barrel

1127 on the bottom of the barrel its later gsxr but rocker cover off to tell which one . M/N heads have shim adjustment and 16 cam lobes

No markings on the bottom of the barrel and wanky diaphragm /ally clutch basket its a blandit motor

• 9 months later...

Ok, I will say it if noone else will. Please post pictures of your Harris GSXR1100. :)

Also, it seems very dodgy that someone has changed the engine number to HP... Presumably this is to match the frame number as most Harris's have an HP.. number on them but the reason why anyone would do this is perplexing.

Hi Dezza,

I will post photo's at some point but its in so many pieces at the moment as I'm trying to get some GSXR1000 wheels and forks in it. Oh and re-wire ! And maybe a different seat. Maybe a bit ambitious to do all in one go.

The frame and engine numbers match and match the log book. I was a bit concerned as well but all seems well. And maybe the main reason its on a 'Q' plate and not using the donor bike reg number ? 

1 hour ago, Wagola said:

The frame and engine numbers match and match the log book. I was a bit concerned as well but all seems well. And maybe the main reason its on a 'Q' plate and not using the donor bike reg number ? 

Possibly an ex race bike so never road registered hence Q plate. May also explain 'matching numbers' - plenty of 'shady' stuff happened / s in the race world - the supply of engines to be blown up isn't bottomless  LOL!

3 hours ago, Wagola said:

Hi Dezza,

I will post photo's at some point but its in so many pieces at the moment as I'm trying to get some GSXR1000 wheels and forks in it. Oh and re-wire ! And maybe a different seat. Maybe a bit ambitious to do all in one go.

What frame is it - a cradle F1 type or a Magnum 2 or 4 type that has no bottom rails and tubes that go around the sides of the engine?

Its a Magnum 4. But it looks like it has the larger diameter top tubes the same as the superb yellow turbo Mag 4 that's on here somewhere. So I think it is quite a rare frame. With a Mag 4 tank and the usual Ducati 916 tail piece but I want to try and change this for something a bit smaller.