New project - Spondon GSXR 1100

Dezza

That looks genuine spondon to me you jammy git! Been wanting one of those for years. A friend of mine sold a complete running one of those with full fairing for £2k a couple of years back but i didn't have the cash. If you ever do sell, please, please, please let me know :tu in the meantime if I can help with any questions, i will do

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Nr Loughborough.  Often go to my mate's just a couple of miles from GIA.

Coincidence - guess where I bought the bike? Loughborough, about 5 miles from my house. Maybe we could organise some sort of local Suzuki meet up if it ever stops raining!

1 hour ago, spondonturbo said:

That looks genuine spondon to me you jammy git! Been wanting one of those for years. A friend of mine sold a complete running one of those with full fairing for £2k a couple of years back but i didn't have the cash. If you ever do sell, please, please, please let me know :tu in the meantime if I can help with any questions, i will do

Sure, no problem. I think the engine is some sort of 750/1100 hybrid (thread in oil cooled) so any comments as to what I need to look for to identify it's make-up are very welcome. I do not know much of the nuts and bolts of GSXRs as it's the first non-aircooled Suzuki I have had, and I do not want to order incorrect parts for it when needed.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dezza said:

Nice one Zepp. I wouldn't mind seeing some more detailed pics of your bike. What seat and fairing did you use in 1988? (Assuming it was you that owned it then.)

I didn't own it in '88 bit believe it to be a Harris seat unit and early Gsxr race fairing. 

1 hour ago, Zepp said:

I'm putting it back to something a bit closer to the look in '88

Sounds similar to what I am doing with mine, which is why I asked about bodywork. It will be years before I get to that stage, but the rc30 seat unit will also probably look good and fit well with those aims.

On 06/07/2016 at 8:17 AM, Zepp said:

...and how it looked in '88

image.jpeg

Looks like Steve Burns giving the cheery wave in the back ground? 

"'Mission Improbable' built in the late 1980s" Just looking back at your earlier post, I`m guessing this might have become the Performance Bike build.

Edited by Mar71n
More info
  • Like 2

don't think the seat is Harris. It looks too angular at the back on the Pepsi bike. I remember Burnsie building the mission improbable and then it ended up with coca cola paintwork before it got sold on, but can't remember a pepsi paint job. Oh, and I still thin you are a jammy git lol.......If anyone hears of another spondon in the shed - let me know :D

Edited by spondonturbo
spelling
On 09/07/2016 at 10:09 AM, spondonturbo said:

That's my mates old bike

Maybe he remembers what bodywork he fitted. It looks like an FZR1000 exup fairing but the seat unit doesn't ring any bells. The bodywork varies quite a bit on all the pictures of bikes with these frames. The pepsi bike clearly has a much smaller tank than most of the others. The huge tanks on the other bikes also vary. The one for mine is enormous and has internal baffles welded in, and looks very similar to the one on the Mission Improbable bike. The tank on your mate's old bike is even bigger as it's taller and has apertures to fit bits of hoover pipes like on old ZXR750s.

6 hours ago, Dezza said:

Maybe he remembers what bodywork he fitted. It looks like an FZR1000 exup fairing but the seat unit doesn't ring any bells. The bodywork varies quite a bit on all the pictures of bikes with these frames. The pepsi bike clearly has a much smaller tank than most of the others. The huge tanks on the other bikes also vary. The one for mine is enormous and has internal baffles welded in, and looks very similar to the one on the Mission Improbable bike. The tank on your mate's old bike is even bigger as it's taller and has apertures to fit bits of hoover pipes like on old ZXR750s.

I will ask him. Specials all had different seats anyway, so its whatever you think looks good.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Any news/progress ?

A bit Rob, but not as much as I would have liked as I am still in China to the end of this month. Before I left I completed the strip down of the whole bike and used about 2 gallons of paraffin to clean it. I removed the corrosion from the frame and swingarm. I will try and get a sort of brushed finished rather than the mirror shine look. It will all come up well, especially considering it's nearly 30 years old. I had a look at the motor and cleaned it all off. I will repaint the whole lump - I'll do the cases head and block black and the covers grey. No real horrors in the engine, although it's not exactly been meticulously maintained - 10 out of 16 valve clearances were out and the oil looked like it's as old as the frame. The inlet ports look like they have had some work and I suspect the head has been gas flowed.

I have sourced a few parts for it. I got some forks, yokes, bars and front mudguard from a KTM RC8R - these are White Power, about half the cost of a set of ancient Ohlins from an Aprilia/Ducati and are LONGER than the RWU Suzuki forks in it when I bought the bike. They also fit in well with the 'Mission Improbable' rep theme, a bike that used WP forks. These forks will take monobloc Brembos as a bolt on so I will be going for them. I am waiting for a bloke that supplies race bike parts to source a matching front wheel for the Tecnomagnesio rear I have had knocking about for the last 10 years. I can then get some discs and get the thing on its wheels.

• Like 3