Buying a bike that was overflowed - GS1000S

FJD

Was offered a quite neat GS1000S that was submerged in 70cm deep water for probably 4 hours.

After that, the engine was flushed with new oil.

Seller told me the bike will need a total strip including engine teardown, as on some othe bikes he did not get the moisture out, and he already got surface rust inside engines.

The flooding was probably 2 weeks ago.

What about crank bearings/other roller bearings in the engine - changing required or not ?

What do you think ?

this guy is a quite high manager in car imports here, and a water pipe burst flooded his garage, lots of bikes were submerged, Kawasaki Z´s, CB750 KO, Vincent´s, Katanas, the GS1000S, BMW.

What do good original GS1000S go for ?

i followed an auction of an original left mirror -  it went for $570....

As mentioned. Drain the oil, see what comes out. Better still, when drained, drop sump if owner will let you. Get a better look! Having said that, I bought a 750 Slabbie that had been left in the weather with plugs out, and carbs off. Inlets not plugged. I drained the oil and a bucket of water came out. Engine's fucked, I thought. On stripping it, bores were toast, bottom end was as new! So the one you're looking at may not be as bad as you think. Room for negotiation!

Edited by Swiss Toni

tbh if a bike is submerged its not a major problem if you strip it and sort it straight away. but if its been flooded and then sat round waiting for the insurance company to fork out then it could be ok, or it could be an utterly fucked rusty piece of crap and that should be reflected in the price. even if it were a minter pre flood, 2400 is a lot of cash for it cos its a huge gamble and by the time youve rebuilt it then you could have bought a runner and kept your hands clean. not for nothing to insuance firms write off submerged bikes as having zero value.

however, tell him 2400 is fine, so long as he also accepts 2400 for the kat and 2400 for the vincent too....

Edited by johnr
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

the bike was covered in very thin protection oil, to prevent rust.

the throttle was stuck in closed position - lucky me !

As soon as i got it on the bench, i took off exhausts, gas tank, carbs, side panels.

Then removed starter, drained the oil, removed oil pan, generator cover, ignition cover, clutch cover

There was still a little bit of water coming out from the engine cases, but inside everything was spot on, no rust to be seen - i came to rescue just in time !

20160604_165620opy34.jpg

20160604_194535aubye.jpg

20160604_19105121zeu.jpg

20160604_191113c9xtf.jpg

20160604_191128r7ail.jpg

The carbs were stuck - and that was probably my luck, as water only got in the combustion chambers 2+4 through the exhaust side.

20160604_171133mel8x.jpg

there was a bit of corrosion, that cleaned off with scotch brite.

I cleaned the carbs thoroughly (not used my ultrasonic though - was too lazy), and got them moving properly again.

Then checked cams - perfect, no water !

20160604_195954yax0u.jpg

Then took out rear wheel - there was still water in between cushion dampener, also in the hollow parts of the hub, blew out with pressure air as good as possible.

Also took out swinger and shocks, swingarm axle had light rust on it, regreased it good and fitted back to the bike.

Then had to something about the chrome  on the shocks, looked like that:

20160605_121734i4skb.jpg

20160605_121738u8sgq.jpg

ploished them up, then looked like this again:

20160605_172216vcsd4.jpg

20160605_172221g5sxw.jpg

then gaskets came, and  after repolishing clutch cover (had corrosion under clear laquer), this could be fitted again

20160610_192532sss6i.jpg

20160610_192516f5sx4.jpg

also polished the exhausts - i´m lucky, they are in pretty good shape, and solid too.

Got it all together, and started her up - ran on all four as expected, gave her a good warm-up, smoked my whole shop with burning off the oil from inside the exhausts, and the corrosion protecting oil on the engine parts.

20160612_184746fosbz.jpg

Made a short test ride, everything works, only need a pair of mirrors (anyone got the correct ones ?) , they look like that:

s-l1600z6s3d.jpg

i ordered some GSXR 750 mirrors, they look similar, not sure if they fit.

Also still need to get the airbox from prev. owner, so that i can really ride it normal (hustles a bit without airbox), and i need the two rear indicators and brackets.

41bnjltudTL.jpg

• Like 2