Intercooler sizing, how big is yours

Here is one example. Not my bike but one that I tuned some time ago. In dyno intake air temps were around 50-60°C at 1 bar boost. There wasn't temp measurement before the cooler but probably pre-cooler temps were around 100°C. So not a bad result but not extremely good either.

GSXR_IC.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, bruteforce said:

@Arttu As it is a 550 the forks are very close to the oil rad. Don't think the IC will fit instead of the oilcooler. That was why I was thinking to fit it on the side of the engine, just chop a piece of linkpipe out and fit the IC in between.

Understood. I was just providing some reference data, what kind results you can expect with that kind cooler.

I guess that if you place IC on side of the engine it won't be facing air stream at square angle? In that case the efficiency will be somewhat lower but I don't have any idea how much. 

I was thinking of somethink similar when i still had plastics on. was planning on moulding the fairings around it to duct the air and blend it in to the style of the bike and avoid having to move the oil cooler. But heres one that was done by S& R Pro in Sydney Australia on a CB1300. Oh shit, not a suzuki but its only a reference photo for position and size, hope its ok with the mods ?

Edited by vizman
rtfr

And on the not a suzuki note, i remember a really nice turbo XJR that had an undermount intercooler. The scoop was shaped like a bit of a belly pan so air went up through the cooelr. The link pipe then went up through the swing arm and into the plenum from the rear so it kept the bike looking really clean on both sides. I will see if i can find some pictures of that one too.

• 1 month later...

Heres a bike here in OZ, front mount IC with OC under seat. Its very neat install and uses the sub frame tubes to carry the oil to the cooler.

the OEM cooler lines are looped together at the front of the engine and then he took the oil from the head lines at the back of the block.

9617b521.jpg

227b2db1.jpg

1052687468245420.JPG

same bike just before the silver paint

28777836379637.JPG

33180910856524.JPG

331809108224473.JPG

Man this new picture loading shit is the bomb!! So freaking easy know

Anyway, hope that little lot helps abit 

• Like 1

Why not go the other way and rear mount the IC and leave the OC front mount ?

The more the volume the better really between the turbo and inlets as it acts as a buffer and pressure reservoir and keeps the ic well away from all other heat sources. Could even get one of those curved cores to kinda follow the shape of the wheel abit, or 2 smaller cores welded together to kink it over the wheel etc? Could work :D