Intercooler sizing, how big is yours

2 hours ago, vizman said:

on a blow through kit I woulda' thought they would have to be about 20ft long before you'd notice any pressure drop

Aggreed, wont be any pressure drop in pipe work. Maybe a bit across the cooler if its sized too small, but over all i dont think the extra volume would have any negatives. I reckon with the volume of air turbos move it would pressurise it  up just as quick and if anything you get the advantage of the extra volume being a buffer, so when you grab a gear and the BOV vents it cant dump all the volume of pressurised air so rather than the turbo building boost from scratch each gear change, there might be 3 or 4 psi of charge left so the turbo only has to build from there to boost level.

On a bike, all of these distances really are so short between the front and rear that i really dont think any of these factors will be huge. More hypothetical anyway lol

Thanks guys for so many replies, good to see the subject took off without me being involved any longer. :)

I've given up on the intercooler idea for a couple of reasons:

-I run 15psi max and then only in short bursts as it's a pure roadbike. The engine is now setup so well that 10-12psi gives sufficient power to be honest, and below 15psi an intercooler has no real use if I need believe some experts.

-IC=Ugly. It ruins the sleek and simple looks IMHO.

-Makes it more complex and adds weight

-I believe my painstaking carbtuning will be lost instantly if I add the IC and this "simple addition" could lead to a world of hurt- I've been there before!

-There's no apparent reason to fit one- I've ridden with 20psi (bursts) before and it still stays in one piece

So thanks again for your help and advice on this subject. 

Indeed, very nice setup, dont know how practical as there will be massive heat soak from the OC to the IC but sure does look good, and will have some effect

Any cooling of the inlet charge will result in more power for the same boost so why not, and the extra volume wouldn't do any harm either.