GS1000 “Skunk” update/inquiry

Hi folks. It’s been a while since posting anything about the gs1000. 

Last week I sent the bike out to a mechanic to check the valve clearances and to install a dyna s ignition system. I elected not to have him tune the carburetor as he said it would be a full days work and I didn’t want to spend too much money at the time. When he did the valve clearance and electronic ignition the bike had k&n pod filters. I got the bike back and it wasn’t running 100%. It was running about 75% of its full potential. Small things like slight popping, idle would hang a little high then come down, if I tried twisting the throttle too fast it would want to stall. Small stuff. 

I thought maybe putting the original air box was the solution. I may have been wrong because the bike seems to be running worse. I didn’t have as much time as I wanted to play around with the carbs but it didn’t sound that great when it started. 

Sorry for the long post but I’ll get to my question….. if the mechanic installed the dyna s ignition with pod filters would me switching back to the original air box throw everything out of wack? Or can I go back and forth between pod filters and original air box without a worry? 

Settings with pod filters: 130 Main Jet, 17.5 Pilot Jet. 2.5 turns out for both air and fuel mixture screw, tried both 4th and 5th clip position on needle and 5th clip position was more responsive  

Settings with Airbox: 95 Main, 17.5Pilot, 7/8 turns out on fuel screw, 1.5turns out air screw, 3rd clip position on needle

Any help is appreciated!!

Best,

Carlos

Did it have pods or are these a new addition? I'll assume the latter - if so, carbs particularly CV types, don't like to play with pods without a fair bit of work - they ain't plug and play! If all he did was what you said and bike runs bad with std airbox and STANDARD jetting then something else is going on!  Possibly he screwed up the valve clearances ? Did the bike have points or electronic ignition with ATU? Has the ATU not been used?

Thank you guys a ton for the responses. I really appreciate the help!

I tried going back to the stock air box with all the stock jet settings and the bike did not run well at all! I tried playing with the fuel screw and air screw and it didn’t make enough of a difference to have the bike running well. (Settings 95main, 15pilot, 3rd clip position for needle, 7/8 turns out on fuel screw,1.5 turns out for air screw)

The changes I made after trying the factory air box was back to the k&n pod filters, 115main, 17.5pilot, 3rd clip position, 2out fuel screw and 2 out air screw. Ran better than stock but still seemed to be starving for gas especially when you open throttle quickly. 

Next change was k&n pods, 130main, 17.5pilot,4th clip position, 2.5 turns out on fuel screw,2 turns out on air screw, also new spark plugs(b8es)NOW this made all the difference in the world! Bike idles perfectly and I took it for a quick spin and the bike is night and day! I don’t want to jinx anything as I still have to test the bike when it’s cruising and I’d also like to check the spark plugs but the bike is running the best it ever has and pulls so hard now. Almost a completely different bike. 

I’m going to do more testing these couple of days and keep you folks in case anyone needs this information in the future. 

Thanks again folks!

Carlos

• Like 2

UPDATE - I had the bike at my work shop for the last couple of days testing it in the area, taking it out for a spin to make sure it ran well. It was running perfectly! I decided I would bring it home and enjoy it this weekend. It was about a 35min ride and half way through the ride the bike just started running like garbage. 

it started idling too low and did not have any power whatsoever. It stalled a couple of times and was running “rough”. I thought maybe the fuel was running low so I pulled over at a gas station and the tank was about 75% full. 

I guess I can pull the carburetor off again and pull it apart to make sure I don’t have any clogged passages. If it’s something to do with the dyna ignition that’s kind of out of my wheelhouse as I don’t feel confident messing around with that. If it was running great for the last two days would the dyna s ignition be a possible issue?

this was so disappointing because I spent so much time last weekend “dialing” it in and it was running incredible. 

any ideas why this may have happened? What would be the next steps you folks would take? Any help is appreciated 

Edited by DeegzARG

One change that I made recently was remove the in line fuel filter. When I got the bike it had been sitting with gas for so long the fuel rusted pin holes through the tank and we repaired the tank the best we could and installed a pingle fuel valve. Removed the vacuum. Could tge fact that i removed the filter be causing the issue? I might pull the carbs apart again and install an in line fuel filter and give that a shot. Hopefully that’s the issue. 

thank you

• 2 weeks later...