GSXR Bandit.

Jocalopse

As Foz said, your 1127 is has a bucket and shim head(M/N). Shim heads have different cams and valves than locknut 1127/1157 heads. 1127 K, L, M and N's use a conventional timing chain whereas 1157's have a hyvo timing chain. 1127 and 1157 cranks/cam wheels differ to suit respective timing chains. 

Have a look at 'Frankenstein's guide to oil cooled engines' Plenty of useful info to familiarise youself with oil boilers. ;)

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/archives/404

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1

Performance wise the Bandit motors had the less aggressive cams and lowered compression from the GSX1100G . Essentially it was a slightly larger, chain drive version of the 1100G shafty. Which itself was essentially a detuned shaft drive version of the 1100 Katana. That is kind of why putting GSXR cams in a Bandit is a good low cost mod.

well, well, well.......it's almost like I asked which oil or tires are best for my new to me Bandit, it's brought everyone out of the woodwork. Anyhow, the Bandit is still at the dealership I'm buying it from and there it will stay until the weather improves, I am in Canada after all. So it is a last generation oil cooled GSXR1100, whatever was sold here in Canada and a 2005 Bandit. The reason I was asking is the B12 has 60,000km on it. I had planned on maybe rebuilding the GSXR engine, then swapping them, giving me a refreshed engine in the B12. I can't put the GSXR on the road, as someone filed off the VIN on the headstock, we all know what that means. Anyway it's complete, but in rough shape anyway. The tentative plan, I don't want to be without a commuter as the XR650 is hell on the highway, is rebuild the engine for eventual swap, and maybe swap the front end as well, maybe shock if possible and worthwhile. Was really just enquiring as to the relative similarity. Pretty sure they have the same engine mounts.