Newbie with a GS1000 project. lots of info needed

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I had a wander around before joining and was impressed with the level of knowledge, but above all the respect paid by everyone to each other. You guys set a fine example.

So, I used to have a GS1000 street fighter, but before they were called street fighters, with a full Yoshi motor. Cams, 1260cc kit, welded crank straight cut primary gears, billet clutch, close ratio box and I threw so much cash at it, when I didn't have a lot of cash that it just had to go. I sold it for £800 at Newark autojumble in about 1999 as I was moving abroad. I've always regreted it and have now bought a GS1000 off Eblag last week (see picture). 

So first off, will Slabby GSXR 750 wheels fit in easily or are there any better/lighter wheels to fit, whilst still staying at 18"?

How difficult is it to swap in a GSX1100 swingarm and is it worth it?

Do people fit longer shocks to improve turn in and general flickability?

I saw a great thread about brakes and have followed a link, so I think I have that covered.

And now for the comedy question........Does anyone have my old engine and can I buy it back for £800? 

When I find a picture of my old bike I'll post a picture. You never know, someone may still have it. It was quite unique.

Cheers

Andy

IMG_20240320_161523969_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

77 GS750 frame

95 Katana 750 engine - was a 78 GS1000 engine but that's in my 77 GS710

2002 GSXR suspension and shocks.

zero frame alterations to get the suspension installed. All Balls steer bearing kit helped with the triple tree. The rear has a strut instead of a shock although it has been installed and ridden with it.

I modified the engine mounts in the rear for the Kat engine obviously. I

$50 bushing for the swing arm and I used the stock swing arm pivot bolt.

moved the sprocket on the Kat out by 3/16" (the GS1000 engine needed a 5/8" offset sprocket)

wheel base is almost the same length as I had measured it at one time. 

As of my last test... it's fast and fun and street legal.

If you run the VM26's make sure you get the air correctors for the pods. 

OE air box as found on my GS710

Air Box 3.jpeg

Air Box 2.jpeg

Air Box 1.jpeg

Lowered 1.jpeg

3 hours ago, andyroach said:

Is the swing arm the same length? Does the Bandit wheel sprocket line up as well?

Nice shocks by the way

I think the GSX swinger is a tad longer but not sure ? but the pivot width is the same. the wheel goes in easy but the sprocket carrier needs machining down to get it lined up. not got the bandit engine in yet though. 

Saw that one for sale on the 'bay . Was supposed to be a regular runner , how is it ?

If you decide to swap out the wheels for something newer I might be interested in acquiring your  old ones :tu

Any excuse for a trip to the Trip in Nottingham is welcome .

I can still recall the exploits of Notts Custom Cycles back when men were men etc etc , and didn't need to "identify"

& Welcome !

Edited by PanzerWomble
  • Like 1

Hi PanzerWomble (Great name by the way),

I'll let you know about the wheels, but I'm pretty sure they are going (I may still have a set from a different GS1000 race bike I owned. Will have to have a ferret about under the welding bench).

I've had a couple of NCC frames in my youth.

I saw Al a couple of years ago, he's got a place near Bulwell and was building beefed up Kat frames for classic racing.

The older guy, who's name I can never remember, works at Robin Hood Harley dealers as a mechanic 

• Like 1

Welcome to OSS 

If you want to keep 18" wheels, I'd look at swapping the complete front end off a gsxr slabside 750 or 1100. Be a easy straight swap (same Headstock bearings) then you get better forks etc but you may need  to alter the lock stops.

Yes a gsx1100 swingarm arm will go straight in like @TonyGee says and yes they are a bit longer, think APX 25mm. Yes the slabside  rear wheel will go in and I remember the chain run is not far out but I'm thinking back 30 years now and as I can't remember what I did yesterday xD

Most people will drop the forks through the yokes by 5-10mm to quicken up the front end instead of longer shocks (just because it's saves buy new shocks) 

• Like 1

Thanks Wraith,

If the GSX swing arm is 25mm longer, then I will probably wait for a lighter "right length" swing arm to come up. The GS is already long enough and doesn't need to be longer.

I may look at swapping the forks at some point, but for the time being I just want to ride it and swap wheels if it isn't too much of a pain. 

2 hours ago, andyroach said:

Thanks Wraith,

If the GSX swing arm is 25mm longer, then I will probably wait for a lighter "right length" swing arm to come up. The GS is already long enough and doesn't need to be longer.

I may look at swapping the forks at some point, but for the time being I just want to ride it and swap wheels if it isn't too much of a pain. 

APX 25mm someone will be along to give you a definite answer, or put a separate post/thread up just for the swingarm (y)

It would probably be quicker to swap the complete front end then just the wheel ;)

Ps, if you've read the rules (RTFR) you will know if you get 50+ post up it will open the for sale/wanted section. Then you can put a wanted post for all the bits you need and you be surprised what OSS people have in there garage/sheds ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wraith said:

APX 25mm someone will be along to give you a definite answer, or put a separate post/thread up just for the swingarm (y)

It would probably be quicker to swap the complete front end then just the wheel ;)

Ps, if you've read the rules (RTFR) you will know if you get 50+ post up it will open the for sale/wanted section. Then you can put a wanted post for all the bits you need and you be surprised what OSS people have in there garage/sheds ;)

Wraith, really chap? Reading rules? I'm a man, we don't do that. We flounder around asking stupid questions. 

I'll go read them now. 

I didn't know about the for sale/wanted section. But I'm torn about which way to go with it. I don't want to throw huge amounts of cash at it and then it turn into a garage princess and be paranoid about leaving it anywhere. I use my bikes all the time (1,200 miles in the last month and a half on a 1958 Triumph 6T. Yes I'm a pervert).

I've done an oil/filter change, jumped it from my Guzzi battery and it sounds pretty good. A little bit smokey when warm, which could be the pod filters and crap jetting. I'm going to get the carbs off tomorrow and check the jet sizes and refit the original air box until I decide what filter and jetting to use. I think I'll also check the valves while I'm at it. I'm pretty sure I still have a load of GS shims in the shim box.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2024 at 6:21 AM, PanzerWomble said:

Saw that one for sale on the 'bay . Was supposed to be a regular runner , how is it ?

If you decide to swap out the wheels for something newer I might be interested in acquiring your  old ones :tu

Any excuse for a trip to the Trip in Nottingham is welcome .

I can still recall the exploits of Notts Custom Cycles back when men were men etc etc , and didn't need to "identify"

& Welcome !

I often pop into the Trip if I am in Nottingham city centre. They have Old Peculiar on draft :)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Dezza said:

I often pop into the Trip if I am in Nottingham city centre. They have Old Peculiar on draft :)

i'm going into the workshop today to do some more fiddling with the GS so will have a poke under the welding bench and check out the wheel situation. I'm in Beeston just off the A52 towards the M1. The Kettle is always on and you would be most welcome.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dezza said:

I've a real soft spot for Nottingham , really good food, great nightlife ....seen more bands at Rock City than I care to remember, and it had all the NCC crew there 20-30 years ago , real biker town .  And a pint of old Puke is always good. 

• Like 1
On 4/19/2024 at 2:50 AM, andyroach said:

Wraith, really chap? Reading rules? I'm a man, we don't do that. We flounder around asking stupid questions. 

I'll go read them now. 

I didn't know about the for sale/wanted section. But I'm torn about which way to go with it. I don't want to throw huge amounts of cash at it and then it turn into a garage princess and be paranoid about leaving it anywhere. I use my bikes all the time (1,200 miles in the last month and a half on a 1958 Triumph 6T. Yes I'm a pervert).

I've done an oil/filter change, jumped it from my Guzzi battery and it sounds pretty good. A little bit smokey when warm, which could be the pod filters and crap jetting. I'm going to get the carbs off tomorrow and check the jet sizes and refit the original air box until I decide what filter and jetting to use. I think I'll also check the valves while I'm at it. I'm pretty sure I still have a load of GS shims in the shim box.

Stands up at a OSS meeting, hi I am Andrew.

Throw huge amounts of cash... done, oh.

Garbage princess... done, oh.

Dreams of half a dozen new project ideas a day... done, oh.

heeey I resemble those facts.

Welcome to OSS andyroach let your journey begin.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
the red in my quote hurt my eyes.
12 hours ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

Stands up at a OSS meeting, hi I am Andrew.

Throw huge amounts of cash... done, oh.

Garbage princess... done, oh.

Dreams of half a dozen new project ideas a day... done, oh.

heeey I resemble those facts.

Welcome to OSS andyroach let your journey begin.

Hi GSX1100Dreamn,

My journey on this and other mad quests has been going on for at least 4 decades. Starting with a cb125 and continuing through my lowrider/chopper phase into the race bike phase and then into general weirdness. 

Once I find the pictures of my bikes (lost in the move back from the continent) I will post some pictures of the suzuki's I've moded. 

• Like 1

Right, I've taken the GS out for a thrash and it's running rich, like very rich. Those stupid cone filters are strangling it. I have the original airbox, but the carb to airbox rubbers are so hard, there is no give in them at all. I tried putting one on the outside carb and still couldn't get it on.

Does anyone know where I can get some from before I scour the internet and start calling shops?

Cheers in advance.

Andy

The pod filters you have on look like the cheep Emgo type ones, and they are crap, get yourself a proper set of K&N pod filters. Probably cheaper than trying to find a good set of air box rubbers, if you can find a set.

Stiff airbox rubbers? Give soaking them in Boiled Linseed oil a try, might take a couple of days of soaking but its always worked for me on some absolute nightmare rubbers that are as stiff as plastic. 

Edited by BillyR

I've got GSXR1000 wheels, and a front fork of a GSXR600 in mine, 2006 iirc, and a rear fork of a Bandit, yes it makes a difference.

Go for the newest wheels you can find, big chance they're lighter then wheels of older models.

What you mentioned what you had in your engine, I've got about that in mine ;) I also have stronger rods (493) 

1000.jpg