Questions on buying modified GS1100e

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but thanks for adding me. Near me a quite nice 1982 GS1100e has come up for sale and I think I want to buy it as he's asking a fair price. The only problem is that it has some pretty extensive engine work such as a 1300cc big bore, aggressive cams, welded crank, back cut trans, carbs, the whole thing. 

Should I be worried about things like reliability? I can work on my own stuff for sure but I was kind of wondering what all "comes with the territory" when buying something this modified. The seller seems to be very knowledgeable and upfront so I'm not worried about him. Should I just pull the trigger and live a little? Or could this be a potential nightmare?

Thanks for reading!

If upgrades are carried out using proven solutions, and w/o going "over the top", they do not necessarily mean a loss of reliability.

I would ask a mechanic familiar with air cooled Suzukis about the mods done on this bike, I would check whether the cooling system has been upgraded to deal with more power (which means more heat), and I would test-ride the 'bike to try and feel whether anything feels not right; and if in doubt after the test ride, then give it a miss. If proven solutions have been used for the upgrades, the cooling system has been taken care of and everything during the test ride feels  right, I would take the plunge.

Finally, you want to think about consequences with insurance when any vehicle gets modified.

It all depends what you want to do with it. What did the PO do with it? Strip? Go ahead. Fill ya boots. Have fun. Heavy maintenance schedule.  Street??? Might be a bit of a handful! Still needs looking after. And, welcome to OSS … we didn’t add you. You added yourself! ;)

• Like 2

What ST says. Has it had any sensible chassis mods to account for the potential large increase in power? It tends to help with the laundry bills having a bike that stops when you want it to and doesn't fight back when tipped into a corner. Any pics of the bike? We like pics :).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. I will remember them the more I ponder the purchase. It's located close to where I live so I'll get a better idea when I see it and take a test ride. Also, get to meet the owner to get a feel for him and see what he says in person. Here are a few pictures too. 

gs1.jpg

gs2.jpg

gs3.jpg

• Like 3

Sounds like the perfect streetbike!  My air cooled bikes have always been modified in much the same way,  they are tough as old boots, this one sounds like it has all the right bits to make sure it stays in one piece and puts a smile on your face.

I'm not a expert on the 4v 1100 engine but you say it's been bored out to 1300cc, didn't think they did a 1300cc?

I thought the biggest you can go on standard barrels was 1260? May of had the re sleeved? 

Also for a big bore engine, I can't see a oil cooler? 

Yes the cam to cam links but no cooler.

• Like 1

Oil cooler straight forward. If you can source an efe oil filter cover (still available) then just need the lines and fittings and a suitable cooler. Then just make a bracket to mount to the two holes just below the steering head tube. Looks a nice bike by the way. Buy it!

I think, I'd be asking the owner why he hasn't fitted a oil cooler with the size of big bore and cams etc

Has he had any problems with overheating? 

And the big question, if all this work has been done (which will not of been cheep) why is he selling it for a, as you say a fair price. Don't know what you're calling a fair price. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, bro12000 said:

Those are all good considerations. Thank you. He’s asking $4000. I think that sounds fair but maybe I’m wrong?

I'd say that's cheep for the engine spec, it wouldn't be far off that for all the mods. 

Granted it's not the most popular model but cheep never the less.

Also ask to see receipts for parts and work done , way back in the mists of time I bought a zed 1000 tuned up with similar mods to your Suzuki and it came with a stack of paperwork to prove it , went to see a gsx1100 that had claimed big bore Etc no paper trail and an owner who barely knew what it was, claimed the tickover was set high because of the race cams ...... no, when I turned it down the clutch basket was rattling like a bastard .... 

Edited by DAZ
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, DAZ said:

Also ask to see receipts for parts and work done , way back in the mists of time I bought a zed 1000 tuned up with similar mods to your Suzuki and it came with a stack of paperwork to prove it , went to see a gsx1100 that had claimed big bore Etc no paper trail and an owner who barely knew what it was, claimed the tickover was set high because of the race cams ...... no, when I turned it down the clutch basket was rattling like a bastard .... 

Bought my first GS1000 cheap for similar rattling clutch basket , the owner thought the bottom end had gone ...smug factor 10 after tightening up that hub nut and realising it was bargain I had hoped. Then I sold it on dammit . 

9 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Bought my first GS1000 cheap for similar rattling clutch basket , the owner thought the bottom end had gone ...smug factor 10 after tightening up that hub nut and realising it was bargain I had hoped. Then I sold it on dammit . 

Yeah my gs1000 had similar issues needed the basket re-riveting  too ... Unfortunately I always seemed to want bigger,better,best when I was younger and was always swapping bikes when really I should have kept some of the better ones and had fewer changes ... 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, DAZ said:

Yeah my gs1000 had similar issues needed the basket re-riveting  too ... Unfortunately I always seemed to want bigger,better,best when I was younger and was always swapping bikes when really I should have kept some of the better ones and had fewer changes ... 

100% can feel that , the 80's 90's for me seemed to be some huge arms race to see who could go faster to the pub . To many nice bikes sold off to finance the next one . O.o

• Like 2