Is stock B12 gearing a bit low ?

PaintItBlack

When I bought my 1200 mk1 bandit a few months back the seller mentioned that he’d raised the gearing, for better cruising, I only did around 300 miles on the bike before pulling it all apart for a few mods, the gearing didn’t seem excessively tall, having now checked what gearing it’s actually running, it’s fitted with 17 and 43 sprockets, I believe stock is 15-45, that seems quite a difference to me,

is stock B12 gearing a bit on the low side ? didn’t seem to have much trouble pulling 17-43 gearing, but thinking it’s maybe too much, whilst the bike is all in pieces seems a good time to swap sprockets 

Depends what you want to do with the bike I found the std 15/45 ok ,if i remember correctly 80mph was about 5k (I maybe wrong but that is in my mind  O.o) but for hooning around and what have you 15/48 made it feel slightly livelier without revving like a 600 :tu the 1100 powerscreen uses a 52 tooth rear ...

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Are you sure its 17 front as they dont fit unless one of the sprocket cover pillars is ground away??O.o

That sound way to sensible anyway :), , on a standard motor 1200 i normally use 15 /47 to give it a bit more acceleration, and liven it up....:tu

Yep, definitely 17, one of the pillars is missing from the sprocket cover, I assumed it had broken off somehow, but from what you say it was probably removed deliberately,

starting to look like the stock gearing is probably not a bad compromise between hooliganism and sensible two up touring mode 

2 hours ago, DAZ said:

Depends what you want to do with the bike I found the std 15/45 ok ,if i remember correctly 80mph was about 5k (I maybe wrong but that is in my mind  O.o) but for hooning around and what have you 15/48 made it feel slightly livelier without revving like a 600 :tu the 1100 powerscreen uses a 52 tooth rear ...

Careful now, saying that sort of thing (15/45 and 80mph at 5k) will get the I know better lot giving you grief, like I got on another post ;) but your not wrong but we all know that changing your gearing won't change the revs or speed of the bike, as i was told on here xDxD but what do they know xD ps I'm running 16/48 and like it but looking at 15/48 for summer.

Edited by wraith
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, wraith said:

Careful now, saying that sort of thing (15/45 and 80mph at 5k) will get the I know better lot giving you grief, like I got on another post ;) but your not wrong but we all know that changing your gearing won't change the revs or speed of the bike, as i was told on here xDxD but what do they know xD ps I'm running 16/48 and like it but looking at 15/48 for summer.

Maths is maths!,  change one part of the equation and it affects the rest! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wraith said:

Didn't think a 17t front sprocket would fit, as the 16t you have to remove some of the rear cover bolt bit and it just messes the clutch push rod and a 17t  would hit the push rod??

My sprocket cover has been modified, I thought it was just a bit broken off, but now seems more likely it was done deliberately to accommodate the 17 tooth sprocket 

thank you all for your input, think I’ll go with the stock gearing and see how that works out 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wraith said:

Didn't think a 17t front sprocket would fit, as the 16t you have to remove some of the rear cover bolt bit and it just messes the clutch push rod and a 17t  would hit the push rod??

I fitted one to the Turbo Tea Pot trimmed the back bolt as well as the case, it does miss the clutch push rod just :tu

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 5:06 PM, wraith said:

I don't write this to be mean, but there seem to be a major misunderstanding on your side concerning gearing. Normally I couldn't care less, but in this thread, too, you make comments like you know what you're talking about when others don't.

In the other thread you refer to, Dot head Swap On The G Bike, you state that you cruise at 80 mph at 4,000 rpm with 16/48 gears, and others claimed it couldn't be correct. It doesn't really matter, but then you imply that your engine is tuned, and therefore your gearing is different. You ridicule comments by @Gixer1460, @coombehouseand @Dezzawhen they correctly point out that your reasoning is wrong.

If your engine makes 40 hp or 240 hp, the revs at 80 mph (or any speed) are the same (everything else the same). The power doesn't change the revs at a set speed, only how fast you get there! 

Please, stop ridiculing people who actually know better, calling them/us "The I know better lot", when you are the one who has misunderstood power vs gearing.

It can happen to all of us, but sometimes you have to wake up and learn.

Merry Christmas

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, fatblokeonbandit said:

5K revs in top seems to be about 130 if you believe the gearing commander.:P

I've used it/use it to work out speeds per rev on bike engine car projects, so putting in car size tyres to check their influence (so you know what to fit) + calculating the sprocket ratio that matches the fact that you're adding a car diff in the mix, it proved to be rather exact.

1 hour ago, Nik said:

I don't write this to be mean, but there seem to be a major misunderstanding on your side concerning gearing. Normally I couldn't care less, but in this thread, too, you make comments like you know what you're talking about when others don't.

In the other thread you refer to, Dot head Swap On The G Bike, you state that you cruise at 80 mph at 4,000 rpm with 16/48 gears, and others claimed it couldn't be correct. It doesn't really matter, but then you imply that your engine is tuned, and therefore your gearing is different. You ridicule comments by @Gixer1460, @coombehouseand @Dezzawhen they correctly point out that your reasoning is wrong.

If your engine makes 40 hp or 240 hp, the revs at 80 mph (or any speed) are the same (everything else the same). The power doesn't change the revs at a set speed, only how fast you get there! 

Please, stop ridiculing people who actually know better, calling them/us "The I know better lot", when you are the one who has misunderstood power vs gearing.

It can happen to all of us, but sometimes you have to wake up and learn.

Merry Christmas

It's just the way it was put.

But every day is a school day and we all don't know everything, I do know if you change the gearing you changed a lot but each to there own. 

OSS was a place where you helped and had a bit of fun but it seems more like one up man ship these days that's a shame. 

I will say merry Christmas and I mean that but like the post in general section there not many OSS people taking part in it. So have a merry Christmas and a good new year and I won't be committing on this again and maybe on other stuff, saves the nasty stuff. 

• Like 1