Importing a bike from the EU

DaveV65

I'm looking at buying a Polish registered EFE from a guy in Ireland, he's never registered it there. Looked at what needs to be done to register it in the UK and first up is the correct headlight. The.Gov website says no stickers, deflectors etc, it must dip to the left. Speedo is in KMH only so I thought a speedo corrector would manage that but the guide says no secondary devices allowed. You can apparently put stickers with mph markers but they must be on the speedo face not the glass/plastic cover. A new headlight and potentially a set of clocks starts racking up the £££'s. Then there's the fees. Anyone got any experience of a similar situation?

Duckndive, it's never been registered in the ROI although it's apparently an easy process so I'm told by the vendor, makes me wonder as to why he never did it. To bring it into the UK I believe it will need an IVA and the work must be checked and confirmed at an MOT Test Centre. As it's fully faired I doubt the test centre would see a top mounted speedo corrector. It's just when you start adding all the associated costs it doesn't look as attractive a deal as first thought.

Pay a bit more and make life easier!

22 minutes ago, DaveV65 said:

Pumas are on my feet and I'm jogging on! Thanks for your words gents. My old Dad always said buy the best you can afford, if it seems to good a deal there's probably something not right in there.

With something like that the potential negatives outweigh the potential benefits. Value wise a bike like that is only worth parts value as that's what it may end up being, and that's only if you can be sure it wasn't nicked in Poland.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, DaveV65 said:

I'm looking at buying a Polish registered EFE from a guy in Ireland

Is the guys name Richard who's based in Longford? He's had that bike for sale for over 2 years. Anyone enquring soon finds out its in Poland (not Ireland) waiting on a hefty deposit before the logistics are mentioned. Puts off people.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Is the guys name Richard who's based in Longford? He's had that bike for sale for over 2 years. Anyone enquring soon finds out its in Poland (not Ireland) waiting on a hefty deposit before the logistics are mentioned. Puts off people.

Yes, that's the fella, the fact it'd been listed for 5 months had me thinking something was not quite right, never got to the fact it wasn't actually in Ireland. I considered going across to stay with cousins in Dublin and driving across to view it, that wouldn't have worked!

49 minutes ago, DaveV65 said:

Yes, that's the fella, the fact it'd been listed for 5 months had me thinking something was not quite right, never got to the fact it wasn't actually in Ireland. I considered going across to stay with cousins in Dublin and driving across to view it, that wouldn't have worked!

Same fella fucked me around a few years ago when selling another EFE (on Polish plates, but in Ireland this time. He was in Cork back then.  He told me he worked weird shifts and I couldn't see him before 3pm to collect. I had a mate with van organised and had taken the day off work. I rang him at 12pm to say I was about to hit the road (3 hour journey) only to have him tell me it was sold and picked up that morning. That asshole was lying about his weird work shifts. It turned out he was lining me up as a back up plan in case his first sale fell through. This was at my expense seeing as I had to throw a few quid towards my my with van and lost a day's pay.

As for him selling lots of bikes? Not happening. He was selling the EFE I was after for €4000. The one you were looking at was priced at €2650. Irish bikers aren't short of money and that bike should have sold 10 time over in Ireland. All his bikes are located in Poland or along the German border. He prices them low but never mentions anything about the fact they aren't in the country and need shipping which is a hidden extra on the price. ;)

Sound's like it's the same guy that cropped up on an American Van Group on Faceache "he had a couple chevy vans on polish plates for sale"

then rapidly disappeared when someone posted Con Artist on his posts  ..

I did a reverse image search on the Faired EFE pics and he has a lot of bikes with similar background grass and caravans on a couple of Irish bike pages ..

2 hours ago, DaveV65 said:

He kindly sent me a pic of the E4k EFE saying that was mint and said the current one was very very cheap which made me think something isn't lining up right here. If it was cheap and so good why hasn't it sold? We live and learn and hopefully not get burned.

Talking imports there is a clean EFE thats had some proper work done, for sale very close to me for 2200€. If you take a flight to Paris you can ride it home xD