GSx1100 Dresda Solitaire (I may have had a Clivecident).

imago

59 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Magnum Turbo only has a couple of mm each side fin to frame clearance at front also. 

It'll be fine as it's snug between the sides rather than at the front. Glad I didn't put the head on first though as there'd have been some bad swears when it became apparent that it wouldn't fit between the rails and had to come off again. xD

10 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Try some 36 CV's. 

CV's are worse (I have a few sets here) as they're wider at the diaphragm housing. I suspect the GS1000 had smooth bores which are much narrower at the top. The original triple would have been fine.

Throttle bodies will fit, but I didn't want to go the injection route with this one. Injection, find smaller carbs, manifolds with twin carbs, or change the engine for something else seem to be the only options. None are particularly attractive at the moment, but a bit of thinking space will put things into perspective.

1 hour ago, imago said:

"My path is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd."

Bollocks. There may be a solution, but still, bollocks. I really don't need or want the complication of an injection conversion. 

20240124_061818.thumb.jpg.2f24ac79d0ace6ad8585a64013411f97.jpg20240124_061825.thumb.jpg.d85d99e9db2d52fc5e9c1b2ce6951555.jpg20240124_062403.thumb.jpg.6e9ce9e8eb83d81a9c0e41e77ff35149.jpg20240124_062408.thumb.jpg.389f3645f720593de1c9d348576550bc.jpg

Surprised no one has suggested Draw-thru yet…

edit: for the sake of variety, or a blow -thru…

Edited by R1guy
  • Like 1
On 10/28/2023 at 9:55 AM, imago said:

Having been caught on the hop a bit with the appearance of another project it's taken a minute or two to (mostly) settle on a plan. Until I actually get it in the workshop there will be stuff that will be more mights & maybes than certain.

So at the moment my thinking is this. The photo from the '90s shows it with the RG bodywork in black with orange stripes and lettering, and an orange frame similar to the Walter Wolf scheme. Looks pretty good in that so I think that's the way it'll go.

Engine wise I'd like to use a GS1000 done to 1085 with a flowed head etc. but that'll be an expensive route to go down. However, if it'll fit in the frame I have that Roger Upperton ET engine with an 1170 big bore, flowed head with EF valves fitted just waiting for a home. That way the only cost (still a chunk) for a serious normally aspirated period engine would be a set of flat slides. I even have a solid Harris works exhaust to complete the look.

That leaves the suspension, keep the existing wheels and have them coated at the same time as the frame and arm. Shocks are an easy bolt on, and see what's what with some RWU forks.

I'm trying to avoid it becoming a money pit as I have the Throwback build for that. :/

1990s.thumb.jpg.ea01d0bb1ecbb493684a2905c1ae51b0.jpg

If that pic you posted was the bike in original form ..Its got a 2 smoke in it O.o

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

If that pic you posted was the bike in original form ..Its got a 2 smoke in it O.o

Yeah it was at GT750 triple originally, and whatever happens I won't be putting one of those awful creations back into it. xD

It's just the right build to use up a bunch of stuff that I've had for ages waiting for the right project to put it on. Then you realise unless you get your finger out and actually use it someone will chuck it all in a skip before your ashes have cooled. O.oxD

• Like 2

I just measured width, depth and height, never gave a thought to the frame taper and the width at the carb tops. That'll teach me, but it's all part of the experience. xD

I'm warming to the injection idea now, and I have most of the stuff I need anyway so it'll be a shit load cheaper to convert it to injection than to buy another set of carbs, jets and dyno time.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, GeorgeEI7KO said:

Looking really well Lar. Some proper bars and she'd be reet lol

I'm sure I'll regret it when the aches and pains set in, but those adjustable clip ons are staying. They're a really nice bit of kit and suit the bike. :tu

Regarding the electrical bits'n'bobs , are you planning a box or something in the area immediately behind the headstock , I ask as it would be ideal for the could obviously, but it seems quite a visually large space ,especially compared with say harris mag4