GSx1100 Dresda Solitaire (I may have had a Clivecident).

imago

24 minutes ago, imago said:

From a company point of view FaceBook is a necessary evil, but it's really frustrating with the amount of utter bollocks people post. Loads seem to reply to something just to reply, some reply with identical answers to ones posted previously, and others jump in with the "What about [insert the blindingly obvious]?"

You, well I do anyway, really have to be in a happy calm place before going on there otherwise you'd end up on a multi-storey car park with a rifle having a cull.

Smart phones; stupid users O.o

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Did you see Brian McCalls gs1000 race bike when you visited? It's got no starter clutch just a case to cover the end of the crank which he can touch the deck with on the loop at Donington. I was quite impressed. 

Yes, he's got some bloody nice projects and finished bikes in his workshop.

Hopefully once the move is done I'll be able to get everything in one place too.

5 hours ago, Dezza said:

In my experience suspension compression during cornering can reduce ground clearance by quite a lot. Obviously this depends on multiple factors though.

You're right it can and does, so I've allowed for that in the calculations. Once it's properly complete and mobile I'll be able to strap down the suspension to load it and do a real world check.

There are loads of factors to take into account (tyre width and stiffness, suspension settings, CoG of the bike, corner camber etc) and calcs will only give you a rough guide.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GeorgeEI7KO said:

I still think it looks like a fat birds arse... 

Well you'll just have to avert your gaze. :D

Getting on with turning up engine mounting spacers, one of those dull but necessary jobs. 

20240321_091247.thumb.jpg.435f443f7f7cb7091414f17b8f744096.jpg20240321_091344.thumb.jpg.a1fb85c9f64434150954350a3826a1db.jpg

• Like 1

@imago sorry if it's a stupid question, or if I'm answering my own question, but why start off with hex stock ? I can only imagine that it's easier to produce (and store) hex as it's less likely to bend/flex  than round ? Nice that you've got the tools to do it even if it is a bit of an odious task :tu

Edited by DAZ
2 minutes ago, DAZ said:

@imago sorry if it's a stupid question, or if I'm answering my own question, but why start off with hex stock ? I can only imagine that it's easier to produce (and store) hex as it's less likely to bend/flex than round ? Nice that you've got the tools to do it even if it is a bit of an odious task :tu

Someone asked the same on FaceBook and in truth the main reason I'm doing it this long winded way is to keep my hand in on the lathe. Absolutely the easier/quicker way would be as you say to thread both ends of round bar and face up a welded nut one one end. But as I don't spend lots of time turning stuff up, doing it this way keeps the 'feel' for working with long thin stock.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, clivegto said:

Looking forward to seeing it's new updates. 

Everything's been replaced side from the frame (which has been stripped and blasted) the tank and the seat unit (which will be stripped and painted) since you saw it. xD 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it's off the ramp and getting shoved about I can see the Dresda from more natural angles. The RG tail is definitely staying, it really suits the bike IMHO. 

Still undecided about a Harris style fairing or naked with a big round headlamp. 

GSX 1100 G for scale. :)

20240411_092105.thumb.jpg.5194961587bd074ee3a4e73a63e79890.jpg

• Like 3