Engine corrosion

Raw aluminum will oxidize, really depends on the conditions it's exposed to. You don't ever really see them left in bare aluminum though, because the black/dark grey paint helps them transfer heat better. Also if they do start to oxidize, it's going to be a bitch to clean it off between the fins. At most people might polish the edges of the fins, but leave the majority of the cylinder painted.

Have you read through the custom build threads? These are old engines, pretty much everything that can easily be done to them has been. Also check out the vault for lots of good info on what can and can't be done with them.

7 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

or go over the top, im still not sure this one was a good idea?? rocker box and sump as well?????

SsbiK25.jpg

I've got a polished sump on an 1100 engine and I'm not sure anyone else ever notices it other than me. Currently in the process of cleaning it again while the engine is out of the bike. I do love the way it looks, but it's so much maintenance, especially if the bike sees lots of rain.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

I've got a polished sump on an 1100 engine and I'm not sure anyone else ever notices it other than me.

i would. Have done the same to several GS1000 sumps, valve breather covers  and oil filter covers ... looks great.

• Like 1