Velocity stacks

Yes they do. Basically the same than on N/A engine. In practice they aren't that critical on boosted engine since the effect is relatively small compared to boost. But if you want to build an efficient engine they are definitely one of the things to keep in mind.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Arttu said:

Yes they do. Basically the same than on N/A engine. In practice they aren't that critical on boosted engine since the effect is relatively small compared to boost. But if you want to build an efficient engine they are definitely one of the things to keep in mind.

Thanks!

I saw it somewhere, and that got me curious..

Do you have an idea about dimensions? Or how/ where I can find it?

Bike is in parts at the moment, so I can f around with it.

It can be difficult to find stacks with right dimensions for your plenum.

Dimensions depends on many factors, but stacks should not be too close to the plenum end wall, about 15 mm minimum gap.

Stack "bell lip" should be as round as possible. If you google perfect velocity stack you will find many pictures.

There are my solution about velocity stacks in plenum: 

• Like 1

Tests on NA ram pipes show that any radius more than 90 - 100 degrees perpendicular to airflow produces little increases. As regards pipe opening to internal plenum face - a minimum of 10mm is recommended - more is better and closer to the outlet wall is maybe best position. If you want steel ram pipes you could use Weber DCOE pipes 17mm is their shortest I think, and dia's of 40, 45, 48 & 50.:tu

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Tests on NA ram pipes show that any radius more than 90 - 100 degrees perpendicular to airflow produces little increases. As regards pipe opening to internal plenum face - a minimum of 10mm is recommended - more is better and closer to the outlet wall is maybe best position. If you want steel ram pipes you could use Weber DCOE pipes 17mm is their shortest I think, and dia's of 40, 45, 48 & 50.:tu

I'm going to make some myself, the tubes on the plenum to the carbs are a bit smaller. Now I can make it with the exact dimensions as the carburetors.

I ordered something to cut a radius with.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update;

Got the bike going again after the accident, had to butcher another frame..

The plenum (160cc bigger) I have made defenitly a difference! Better throttle response off boost, on boost I can't really tell because I also put another turbo on it.

But I needed bigger jets.

It's a bit stronger in the lower revs, and a better throttle response, so it wasn't a waste of time ;)

• Like 3