EFE Heavy Clutch Lever.

Hello everyone, I have a 1984 EFE that I am getting back on the road . It is noticeable that the lever pull at the handlebar is very heavy, I need to have forearms like the Hulk to pull lever to the bars. I have previously stripped the clutch due to plates being stuck together and replaced the clutch centre with a brand new unit due to wear on splines. The clutch works. I will be changing the standard cable for a new one and I have bought a new lever for the naked version as I am using straight bars. I expect that the clutch springs are the heavy duty versions. I remember reading some while ago that you could fit lighter rated springs to the clutch, would any one have any idea what ones I need. I realise that they may not solve the problem but not expensive to try. I do not drag race the bike or ride excessively hard, so do not expect to stress clutch. Many thanks everyone. Regards Rob. 

da jar vue !!!!   I had the same issue with mine, I m afraid thats how they are.  i have R.A. so it was painful for me. but i used standard suzuki springs. a new cable well lubed and I even fitted a tiny bearing to the lever pivot. all helped but still not light. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, eddiegsx said:

I happen to be left handed Tony so I'll have to take up this pastime that you refer to, can you  please explain the rules?xD

yeah im a lefty as well,  just grip nice and tight and shake it.  doesn't work by the way but its fun trying :D  

• Like 3
21 hours ago, TonyGee said:

yeah im a lefty as well,  just grip nice and tight and shake it.  doesn't work by the way but its fun trying :D  

Lefty here with an EFE as well, must be those heavy clutches in common :D

Or fit an APE clutch cable & bracket that changes the cable run, that helps. SPS sell them, thats what I did.

Edited by Bubba1135
Added text

So I have changed the clutch cable for a new one, I have oiled the cable, made sure it was correctly routed and oiled the lever. Got to say it was a major improvement, I can pull clutch in with 2 fingers now and feel like it is as good as it is going to get. Not modern hydraulic light but normal pressure needed now. Happy to live with it, I needed to squeeze very hard before, like one of those grip springs. Thanks every one for the info, still need both hands for what Tony recommended, so don't think it would really improve things.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bubba1135 said:

fit an APE clutch cable & bracket that changes the cable run, that helps. SPS sell them, thats what I did

I looked at them but wasn't gona pay the price for one and find out it didn't work !!!  so i made one (rough as fuck) but it did the same job. routed the cable round the side of the cylinder up to the lever and it felt just the same to me ????   just one of those things i suppose :/ 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, TonyGee said:

I looked at them but wasn't gona pay the price for one and find out it didn't work !!!  so i made one (rough as fuck) but it did the same job. routed the cable round the side of the cylinder up to the lever and it felt just the same to me ????   just one of those things i suppose :/ 

The bracket was / is actually for drag bike use making between round servicing the clutch easier buy removing the bracket and inspection cover easy 

i used the complete set up on my road turbo efe "i only ran 3 springs on the lock up was light as a feather"  but on a stock clutch it don't do SFA IMO 

• Like 1