one stupid wheel question...

boilerdude

28 minutes ago, boilerdude said:

you didnt jump in and teach yourself out of the blue how to run cnc equipment. I was addressing cockneyrick who obviously has no qualms about leaving things halfassed and riding down the road. And thinks I'm being silly that I dont just smash forward and do the same. 

I only meant for cockneyrick to kindly keep his advice. He can hardly remember how he did anything and now he's basically saying it's all off center anyway but looks ok to him and rides ~ok. That is all I meant. 

Oh dear, i build half assed bikes now!

And then 8mm off centre is where one ended up, after taking good advice, i tried it, then found it was fine for 3+ years before selling it. 

As No class intimated, try yourself & stop blaming a lack of people or equipment as you will learn nothing!

Adviice also applies to not giving you what you want to hear, but the stark truth ;) 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, vizman said:

remember when there was no internet and we had to use our cunning and handfuls of penny washers?

yea. thats how my dad liked to do stuff. I suppose it gets down the road sometimes but I'm really just trying to do this the right way and do it once. Because we're not in that age anymore. 

Also I can't just add penny washers to a situation that needs metal taken off...  

Edited by boilerdude

he rushed and half rigged everything and it broke again the next day. all the while patting himself on the back for "trying". and never giving a damn about scientific process.

it is commendable to try but still not wise to do shit the same wrong way for years. I just like to have things figured out before I go into it. 

Edited by boilerdude
20 minutes ago, boilerdude said:

he rushed and half rigged everything and it broke again the next day. all the while patting himself on the back for "trying". and never giving a damn about scientific process.

Nobody is saying do a half-assed on non-scientific job, but they want you to do some of the work yourself. You don't need to actually machine the spacers, but you do need to be able to take some measurements with a steel rule and a set of verniers. If you can't do that, you might as well forget the whole thing. You seem to want someone to give you an Airfix kit style set of instructions.....you won't find any.

When I did mine (with no guidance whatsoever, I just thought about it!) I  fitted the wheel with a spacer (old one, doesn't matter which) to one side, caliper hanger and everything else fitted. I bought 2 pieces of square section tube long enough to go from front to rear wheels. Check they're flat by putting them against each other then turning them 180 degrees. get a steel rule and a set of verniers.

Attach them to the rear wheel with bungees, so that they pass by the front rim. Check they are parallel to the wheel if you've got a tyre fitted by measuring with verniers. Adjust till measurements same each side. Centre the steering and measure to the front rim. A bit of patience and you will deduce an offset, and can then calculate the correct spacing. Sketch up the 2 spacers you now know you need and bung someone a few quid to knock them up.

When you've got your spacers, fit the wheel and repeat the checks, then fit sprockets and using straight edges and a similar willingness to experiment and get your hands dirty, you can work out what you need to do to get a straight chain run. I needed to fit  a smallish spacer behind my front sprocket, and get 15mm machined off my carrier.

There's other ways...maybe you can come up with something better? All told, I don't think there's more than half a mil error using my method.

Point is, get stuck in and have a play.

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 1

Swapping caliper hangers (unless identical offset ) will only upset the alignment of the caliper to disc  fitment . Your efe arm may need some attention in the reinforcement portions at the pivot..... to make room for the 180 tire   to clear . I did a few of these mods in the very early 90's so memory may be off a tad . The sprocket carrier from your stock efe will work on that 750 rim..... use the inner bush spacer from the efe as well . remove all the wheel spacers and fit the rear wheel onto the axle shaft.....hub/wheel only.....set alignment the same ( as you would for tightening the chain slack ). using a straight edge on both  sides of the rear wheel .... measure from 2 points on the front wheel ( left side ... front and rear..... then right side front and rear ) move the rear wheel laterally on the axle until both measurements at the front are the same . Your rear wheel is now aligned with the front . Take a measurement from the rear wheel to swingarm and note that down ..... the rest ( spacers) is just simple measurement add and subtract . Make sure you use the proper caliper hanger offset for that wheel before you start making spacers . Measure inside face to face of your swingarm....measure the outside of the wheel bearing to bearing ... add in the hub thickness inner spacer to outter bearing measurement ..... get those dimensions .....subtract one from the other.... divide that in 2 ..... you now have your left and right dimensions to work out the spacer thicknesses . Using the proper caliper hanger and it's inner wheel spacer  for your model year wheel...measure the thickness at the bush and inner spacer.,subtract that from your right side dimension.....you now have your right side spacer size . The rest is .. well..,. 

The reason I'm not going to go with simply aligning the rear wheel to the front wheel is becase if my swingarm were slightly tweaked then I (have decided) dont want to compensate for any misalignment of the rear end by simply lining the rear wheel up with the front. I want to get the rear wheel centered relative to exactly where the stock rear wheel was centered in the swingarm. And if the swingarm needs replaced then the swingarm needs replaced. I suppose I didnt suspect that at all when I started this.

So yea you guys did hit the nail on the head. I dont really know how to go about measuring even though I do have an idea on what I want to measure... from the sprocket side spacer to the center seam of the wheel. on each wheel. then compare the difference. Then swap carriers. See how much closer that gets me. then shave off the rest. But like how do I measure from the sprocket side spacer. Ok so I need one of those 90 degree ruler thingy's. 

Edited by boilerdude
5 minutes ago, boilerdude said:

The reason I'm not going to go with simply aligning the rear wheel to the front wheel is becase if my swingarm were slightly tweaked then I (have decided) dont want to compensate for any misalignment of the rear end by simply lining the rear wheel up with the front.

Then do it properly and check whether your swinging arm is straight or not, don't guess. Don't measure to bodywork and grab handles, use a proper datum point.

Actually, if your forks and yokes are straight (there's another assumption...) then the front wheel is, in practical terms, as  good as any. The accumulation of tolerances on any used bike rolling chassis means that nothing is ever going to be that precise, and nor does it have to be.

You could use the same technique as above, using the stock wheel, to give you a reference.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, boilerdude said:

If I layed a rod from the taillight across the gas cap and rested atop the guages up front. Everything lines up perfectly. The subframe does not appear twised or tweaked from the rest of the bike. the grab handle is perfectly level compared horizontally with the tank straps. It is indeed the swingarm that appears to reach over to the left some.

I was referring to the above pointless exercise.

2 hours ago, boilerdude said:

he rushed and half rigged everything and it broke again the  next day. 

Dads, eh! Gotta love 'em! Yeah, know what you mean.  Wish mine were still here though! Ok, Boiler fella me lad!  If you can't work it out by now, with all the info you've been given, It may  just be time to think about delegating? 

• Like 1

It wasn't my procedure to begin with. But I trust the fellow who was kind enough to spell it out for me. No I'm pretty sure I got it this time. I just needed to hear it in proper english.

You go to the archives. and you go into the wheel swaps section. And behold the vast library of... oh wait. There's just one. One of a very small handful of other relevant how to's in the archive's. I'm just trying to gather and document information for archival purposes.  I found exactly what I was looking for. Someone who has done it before and is willing to share measurements. Even if it took a minute to get through a slight difference in language barrier.

Edited by boilerdude
  • Like 1