Slaby fuel tap

yyt

I checked the standard O-ring list, and I cannot find 13.2x1.9 nor 35.2x2.4, regardless of material. Closest I can find:

For the 17mm:

• 13x2
  • 13.2x1.78

For the 40mm:

• 34.6x2.4
  • 35x2.5
  • 36x2.5

Available in NBR 70, 90 or Viton off the shelf. And that's using a pretty exhaustive catalog. Either I'm searching wrong, or you're measuring wrong, or something strange is going on. What did you end up ordering exactly, and why should it take a month? You're getting some custom made ones? :ph34r:

Ok, had to know so I took apart my fuel tap to measure. I'm getting 14x1.5mm (17mm outer) for the tap side, and 2.5mm thickness plus an unmeasurable length for the tank side because of the non-round shape.

Calculating the length, inner diameter of the groove is 12mm diameter and 34mm for the straights, making 33.64mm inner diameter. Outer is 17.8mm diameter making 39.44mm outer diameter. But then, thats based on the groove size which is (17.8-12) / 2 = 2.9mm wide, and 2mm deep. Need to allow for expansion so 2.5mm should be a good thickness. A ring 34x2.5mm (39mm outer) should be a good fit.

Both 14x1.5 and 34x2.5 are standard O-ring sizes, should be easy available and cheap (under 50 euro cents a piece when ordered individually).

Edited by duncan

I always order from China coz its cheaper and easy to order that's why it takes a month :-(

Locally its pain in the ass to find.. half a day on the phone, than half a day to get there, than they tell you they thought they have it but they misunderstood.

I always prefer Viton for fuel applications, so at e-bay i write "viton" and the diameter I need.

For the tap: 

The gap is:  O.D-17.2mm /  I.D.- 14mm  = 3.2/2 = 1.6mm

A rough calculation of the O-ring diameter is 20-30% bigger for squashing depending on application.

So 1.9 -2.0 mm  diameter is good and outer diameter of 17mm will be fine.

For the flange of the tap I also did a rough estimate and your (Duncan's) estimate of about 39mm outer diameter is good.

The grove is 2.10mm, so 2.5mm O-ring diameter is  good.

In Viton I found only 2.4 Ø and 40mm outer diameter.

Can order them through business suppliers (using Eriks.co.uk here), but plenty available on Eblag too. A quick search for "14x1.5 viton" brings hundreds, and for acceptable prices (< 1 euro a piece when ordered per piece, way cheaper in bulk). I do not see why you would order from China and wait, you can have it tomorrow... but to each his own.

I've ordered mine, 10 euro gets me delivered 5 of each, and half of that money is delivery/small order costs. Arrives tomorrow. Thanks for helping with measurements!

Edited by duncan
  • 8 months later...