OSS Endurance Legends XR41 rep

MeanBean49

Guest YoshiJohnny

Anything I can do to help just shout... I am hoping to join the team but need a few more signatures on my licence application to be allowed to race,,, gonna work on it... if I can then the Smithy inspired "pussy engine" will be in one piece ready to slot in... if not I will shelve it until next year...that isn't because I'm mean but I can handle a motor going boooof if a few of us are busy racing it, but being sat at home whilst it goes boof and being brought home in a bin bag might make me cry. There a LOT of interesting bits going in this motor and I will document the build here just because it will psyche me into getting some races and signatures done over winter. I really don't want to race in the snow but REALLY want to be on track in MAY.....

11892080_10153479158838563_3582457293704552974_n.jpg

Guest YoshiJohnny

Engine pulled to pieces..been sat for a while under cover but suffered 2 house moves... crank and cases cleaned up and all looks good... painted cases at long last..will get some pics up of the build this week

Guest YoshiJohnny

So after stripping it to make sure all is clean and well.. I have started to put it together. the oilways to the cylinder studs have been sealed off with grub screws (as will be the cylinder head feeds..it's going back together and a couple of problems have come to light.. one set of circlips for the new Wisecos has gone missing but I am gonna use teflon buttons.. head is with Roger Upperton having mods done

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

DSC00044.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

DSC00046.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

DSC00048.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest YoshiJohnny
On 24/12/2016 at 8:35 AM, jameskat said:

I think the holes are for weight saving (every little helps), the starter motor location, sprocket area and front mounting bolt area drilled are fairly low stress areas. 

holes were to keep the things cool...the weight difference is next to nothing

anyways I better  just say the team is in all seriousness probably not going to be ready this year... good as Rob is at building stuff it's a big ask to have it ready for the start of May. I really want to be in on it as well so we are going to plan for 2018 and be ready...to kick ass...

I know this may come as a disappointment BUT I may have a plan to compensate ... I have asked Wes Cooley to come visit

YJ

Wasn't there a thread on here with a link to someone that had done the same ? Gs motor in a slabby frame . Good luck think your going to need it .

Mind you my toolkit consists of a very big rubber mallet , set of mole grips and the secret weapon . . ,a mucker Wayne 

• Like 1
On 1/4/2017 at 2:35 PM, YoshiJohnny said:

holes were to keep the things cool...the weight difference is next to nothing

That's what I figured.

On second look I see those 6 holes in the case are actually going to the stater compartment. 

Thought you came up with an interesting breather idea. Still like it, didn't accur to me.

Edited by nightrider
Guest YoshiJohnny

big ones under the starter are for heat loss as well... any trapped air stayed hot, built up heat and was "the enemy" weight saving was obviously there but it was secondary.. heat was one of the problems and camchain/tensioners were another... some engines were made into Swiss cheese in and out, valve buckets, clutch baskets even gear selector drums but the weight could easily have been reduced more easily by putting Wes on a diet lol

Guest YoshiJohnny

2 extra jockey wheels longer camchain and the shorter blade was the key... initially the standard set up let the camchain eat the slippers and alter the cam timing to the point the motors destroyed themselves.. they even had a guy polishing...as in mirror polishing the camchain links so they'd slip over the blades easier

• minx unpinned this topic

With all due respect i thought cooling holes where only as  round as what the material thickness X 2 was ( 4mm material = 8mm holes) that was being drilled. Any more and you are creating less surface area than making. Or those holes look bigger in the pic. Ive been wrong before and will be again :)

Edited by sharpy
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2016 at 6:02 PM, nightrider said:

good to know.

Building a 1100h track bike w/ 1157 motor this winter.

I have the option of BT36, BT38 & VM33 in my shed.

in agreement ref: BT36 versus VM33 - both good carbs but there is something about the BT36 that just works, very forgiving - best production bike carb I've tinkered with

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2017-1-10 at 8:09 PM, YoshiJohnny said:

2 extra jockey wheels longer camchain and the shorter blade was the key... initially the standard set up let the camchain eat the slippers and alter the cam timing to the point the motors destroyed themselves.. they even had a guy polishing...as in mirror polishing the camchain links so they'd slip over the blades easier

don't know nout about this, however I do know about a guy in NZ who reliably sorted another manufacturers well known cam chain destruction std guides and got the engine to safely rev. a further 2K part because of this. all in the shape of the guide and something to do with harmonics - anyway, might be worth contacting him to chat about it - guy called Brent Hyde - for obvious reasons no link posted