Steering damper 1100L

Ragerover

I'm guessing you've still got the standard type damper, I couldn't find a way to get mine rebuilt. I bought a cheap Taiwan built unit and it fits, although it's near full extent at full lock either side - so it's fine, cheap and much lighter too.  My bike doesn't really need a damper, I've uprated the suspension, modern tyres are way better than they were - but whilst I was seeing how hard I could push the bike after the mods I wanted the safety blanket.

On a turbo bike with 240hp a longer wheelbase would make your bike more useable, the shorter 750 arm is normally as short as you want to go, even on a conventionally tuned 1100, else putting the power down is too heavily compromised - any pics of your bike ? it sounds a bit different !

9 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

I'm guessing you've still got the standard type damper, I couldn't find a way to get mine rebuilt. I bought a cheap Taiwan built unit and it fits, although it's near full extent at full lock either side - so it's fine, cheap and much lighter too.  My bike doesn't really need a damper, I've uprated the suspension, modern tyres are way better than they were - but whilst I was seeing how hard I could push the bike after the mods I wanted the safety blanket.

On a turbo bike with 240hp a longer wheelbase would make your bike more useable, the shorter 750 arm is normally as short as you want to go, even on a conventionally tuned 1100, else putting the power down is too heavily compromised - any pics of your bike ? it sounds a bit different !

ill post a few pictures when I work out how to

ive ran this arm together with my ohlins shock and Maxton forks for about 10 yrs

both shock and forks have just been rebuilt

the swinging arm is an NWS item I bought in the states and came from an open class racer

its 3" shorter so likes to stand on its end a bit

bike handles like a dream to be fair just like a bit of extra on top speed and bumpy runs

I want the bike to be short and nimble as I have a long armed supercharged busa

but like the gsxr to feel like a motor x bike

and it looks cool too

can I load files straight from iPhone or do I need to use photbucket ?

I just tested an upload from my laptop, same thing for any photos you've got too. I loved the Formula USA bikes, they used 1186 to 1340cc engines, the big engines got a bit hot, as can be seen from the 3 oil coolers on the undressed bike - bloody gorgeous bikes !! big and brutal, could get around a track pretty quickly too - until the rear tyre turned to mush.

They tended to use a fairly long swingarm, but they would've played around with the head angle though.  NWS fabrications made some really nice s.arms for the Slabbies, they did a gull arm too as I remember, I've got an article around somewhere - good Brit engineering.

GSXR1340.jpg

big poppa GSXR.jpg

• Like 1

Aye your right

i bought it at 1 month old in 1989

been through many incarnations

standard bike

4-1

4-1 flat slides

4-1 flat slides + nitrous

4-1 flat slides + nitrous big motor

as above as a streetfighter ( non crashed)

then laid up for 10 yrs

started this a yr ago

the tyres on bike are brand new but I bought them

11yr ago ha ha

heres one I prepared earlier with a longer arm

(still a gsxr just a different breed)

• Like 1

no more photos at present I'll get some at weekend

together with 1st start up video

gsxr spec

chassis:

gsxr forks reworked by maxton

pfm 6 pots with  cast iron discs, brembo radial master cylender

frome has been cut for, turbo and subframe removed

tubular subframe with custom battery box, solenoid mounts and bottle mount

(both powder coated)

NMW swinging arm 3" shorter

ohlins rear shock

custon rear sets 

6" rear wheel with custom stainless spindle (bent the original one)

Engine:

(built from my old high comp motor)

under cut gear box

lightened and polished crank

carillo rods

lock up clutch

std Pistons

APE studs

big valve head flowed by roger upperton

turbo kit is a mixture of mr turbo headers

custon intake T5 exhaust

mikuni HSR 45 carb

Dyna coils, Taylor leads dyna 2000 ignition

1/4 turn QA throttle

50 Hp nitrous kit

running 6.5 psi boost

hand made harness with all crap removed and 

small lithium battery

bike is running  no switch gear so bars are clean

led tail and headlights show the way

digital speedo and rev counter

bodywork:

tank has twin fillers

hand made aluminium catch tanks , side panels and fairing

ive got another engine on the bench

which I'm building for which I've got MTC pistons

looking for some more rods and I'm going to have a big block from Dave dunlop

once this is done I'll be looking at upping the boost a fair bit

probably more but it's late and I'm tired

I can stick the busa spec up if it interests any one 

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your original query, I replaced the original knackered damper on my 750L with a Toby damper.  They make an exact replacement and from their product list it looks like they cater for the 1100 as well.  If you're struggling to find a retailer I bought mine from Steve Jordan M/Cs http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/ , if fact they recommended it after Sprint stopped doing one for the bike.  They do mail order, should be able to sort you out.  Been very happy with mine and it's fully serviceable.