Impulse purchase - what now

coombehouse

Bought this a couple of weeks ago just because I saw it & the money was in my pocket. Later on I thought why as I already have too many bikes but hey ho. 

Question is what now? Its not the most popular of models but it runs nice, 25k miles & pretty good nick for such an old thing. So what to do? Restore, modify or just sell it on?

Any suggestions welcome

Nick

Resized gsx1100ez.jpg

• Like 1

Not really cheap but about right I think. What would you think was an ok price? I did buy it from a dealer but it was in his name & he had been riding it.

Yes it is not too bad. It starts, runs & has new tyres. Its still on Irish plates right now but as soon as the weather  gets better I will have to get an MOT & register it. Thing is it feels like it weighs 10 tons compared to all my other stuff. It would be nice to lose some weight of it, different front end, swing arm, footrests & exhaust but I would then be throwing more money & time at it. 

I guess it's down to how much you paid out initially . Values of 1100's are steadily increasing ( for original machines ) . Or you could spend money on shiny curly things and find it may be worth less . My advice - if you have the space and time - keep it original , keep it clean , run it up from time to time and keep a nice little investment . 

Well you're here on OSS and you're asking for suggestions. That's good because it means you want us to tempt you with ways in which you can spend huge amounts of money making your "contemporary classic" wankers!  (sorry  tourettes) )  worth considerably less than it might be if left it as an "investment "  tits cunt! ( sorry tourettes again)

So on the basis that this site is all about a reinterpretation and evolution of these bikes. This is what I would do.

15671364565_056b1af7a7.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, coombehouse said:

Mildly amusing but I was hoping for something a little more constructive. 

ask yourself, why did you buy it?

was it to make money? if so and you got it at a good price, check it over stick a ticket on it and punt it on.

was it to make yourself feel good? if so, how so? would you like an ol'skool aircooled beastie in standard trim? or would you like to pimp it up with slightly more modern running gear, etc,

I'm not one for telling people what they should do, but this site can sure help if you have an idea of what you want to achieve as many of the members have probably done it, usually by trail and error, hard work and because they want to.

14 minutes ago, berty said:

Oh yes I forgot - only certaim M members are allowed opinions on here - anyone else is obviously a tit or a cunt or not in the little dittle bubble of their la la land . 

Jesus that Tourette's is really catchy isn't it .

not true in the slightest apart from the la la land, if by la la land you mean oss.info.

"Oh lord please don't let me  be misunderstood"

My  tourettes is directed outside of our fine collective to the rivet counters who covet the parts that we only want to chop up thus creating a bubble of inflation around parts that let's face it are 30 years old yad, if the truth be known. Market forces dictate that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. I'm not prepared to pay  £200 for a tank and £100 for a fucked old seat cowl and when I started this obsession I didn't have to. Now however, it's becoming a rich man's game  and my idea of value  doesn't matter because there are a growing number that prepared to throw money at it in the interests of their investment. This makes our chosen sport of chopping them up far more expensive and leads to the uncertainty expressed by the OP.  My comments while, not directed at any individual represent my frustration at a burgeoning commodity market trading on the raw materials that are essential to my hobby and shed happiness .

For me it's vitally important that OSS continues to stick 2 fingers up to the contemporary classic movement by continuing to defy logic in pursuit of our build kicks.:)

• Like 1

for me it's vitally important that oss members play in la la land abiding by the fucking rules, with passion and gusto. if you want to paint it pink and call it a bobber crack-on, if you want MY opinion i'll let you know, if you don't like my opinion that's not my puddle of piss to mop-up....

have a look at havocs beast for inspiration, that's got some stance.....it's an airkooled 1100 beast, it'll only go up in oss kudos, stash it.

6 hours ago, vizman said:

for me it's vitally important that oss members play in la la land abiding by the fucking rules, with passion and gusto. if you want to paint it pink and call it a bobber crack-on, if you want MY opinion i'll let you know, if you don't like my opinion that's not my puddle of piss to mop-up....

have a look at havocs beast for inspiration, that's got some stance.....it's an airkooled 1100 beast, it'll only go up in oss kudos, stash it.

I still think its a nice little pink investment - now take your toes from my puddle !! 

• Like 2

Well chaps, thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate you taking the time. Its been interesting & has helped me formulate a loose sort of plan. I had decided a few years ago to sell any more bikes but that might change.

I am going to MOT it, clean it up & run it as is but meanwhile I will keep my options open. If an ET or EFE comes along which I would prefer then I will move it on. However I will also start gathering some parts together (again) with a view to modifying it long term. I will keep all the standard parts as they have little value anyway & all the mods will be bolt on & reversible unlike with my Katana. That means standard motor, probably 600 SRAD wheels, brakes, swingarm, a better exhaust, make some footrests & mounts & some forks off something else. I will probably repaint it in the champagne colour that this model came in as I am not too keen on the red. Hopefully then if the plan changes, the value will not go down & the parts will still be useful for another project.

For the forks, I havent decided on normal or USD - it will depend what comes along I guess so if anyone has anything surplus please let me know.

Finally here is a picture of the only bike I own that I can post on here within OSS rules. I dont think I have put it on here before. Owned it since 1984 & its never been standard. I was in PB in the Katana frenzy when it was metallic grey.

Nick

katana small.JPG

• Like 5