I picked a 1999 Hayabusa up this afternoon (25 years old O.o) cheap as its a none runner so I thought best started it's own thread. Plan is. 

1. Get it running. 

2. Upgrade forks and shock. 

3. Upgrade brakes. 

4. Fit lighter wheels. 

5. Turbo it B|

Sounds easy peasy don't it xDIMG_20240528_155333.thumb.jpg.d0253e089f949c44016c8b88f8cbbbf4.jpg IMG_20240528_160039.thumb.jpg.e43291a3ea398436724940307d8db4b1.jpg IMG_20240528_163605.thumb.jpg.80d8a4a3bf5877bc335868d47f94bd45.jpg

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, gsx said:

Looks tidy mate, haven't had one but had a b king and the engines an absolute peach 

It's not in bad condition mate and it was cheap as chips got it of a mate that's a dealer, it's one of the very first one's as well also the first one I have owned. 

• Like 4

Fooking ell I fitted a battery I had knocking about pressed the go button and it fired up then pissed oil all over the floor. I know the bike has been sat in a shed in Scotland for the last 9 year's. Will have a better look tomorrow but am well happy with that :DIMG_20240528_192203.thumb.jpg.b35dd67262cfe2be67ac42b11c182b86.jpg

• Like 2

Curiosity got the better of me so put me bottle of beer down and picked up an Allen key wiped the right side faring off. Pressed the go button again, fired straight up again shone a torch in down towards back of oil cooler and as I thought it's pissing oil out the cooler it's self. New cooler on the shopping list then :)IMG_20240528_195009.thumb.jpg.a122b27e18ab90deac22c68a78bbb2d0.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, clivegto said:

got it of a mate that's a dealer, 

You having mate who's in the bike trade is like Keith Richards being mates with Pablo Escobar. xDxD

Nice bike though, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I quite like them.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, imago said:

You having mate who's in the bike trade is like Keith Richards being mates with Pablo Escobar. xDxD

Nice bike though, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I quite like them.

Only lives 9 miles away likes beer and a laugh has a lot of interesting stuff in his stash. Had a lot of laughs over the year's xD

• Like 1

Nice !  I’ve had a few.

Not sure how clue’d up you are on them ? 

Early bikes 99-00 and 01 had two different ECU’s, 16 Bit not 32. It’s common to upgrade to the 02-07 model 32 bit one to get them flashed.

Early bikes had alloy subframes.

Early bikes had external fuel pumps. 

Only real issue with the Gen-1’s (apart from the 6 pots) is their occasional habit of eating second gear. 

3 hours ago, gsx said:

Looks tidy mate, haven't had one but had a b king and the engines an absolute peach 

B-King is Gen-2 so a bit different. 

Im a huge Busa Fan, I have gen 1, 2, 3 and a B-King sat here, I will watch with interest. 

• Like 1

A lot of guys weld up the BTL that spoils hard launches, I prefer the drop in billet one.  I’ve heard mention of it cracking around the clutch slave cylinder case and needing a brace, but I’ve never had a drama.  Either way, factory clutch is nice, but not for aggressive launches.

FFBA28-AC-C357-4117-AF71-99-D34-EBD7976.

• Like 2

not a fan of the busa (or any faired bike) but they are a beast, rode a few over the years. did a 140mph on a customers bike once on a coast road near me and was only in 3rd fecking gear :o  he said it wouldn't rev out !!!!!!  not a lot i could do really :/ 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, clivegto said:

@Tony NitrousI know fook all about busa's so thanks for the ecu info all information is welcome. This one has an external fuel pump which I am thinking is a good thing when it comes to turbo time B|

No probs. I’m far from an expert but being a huge fan who’s had several constantly over 20 years a few things sink in. 

None of the early changes are a real game changer, but worth knowing if you are ordering parts or modding stuff.

A few early alloy subframes cracked hence the change to steel, but now performance junkies actually want the lighter alloy one.

The ECU / rotor swap is normally due to software like Woolich being for the 02 onwards and offering options a Powercommander doesn’t.  Just be aware you can’t directly mix the 3 Gen-1 ECU’s or different PowerCommanders,   99-00 then 01 then 02-07. 

I’ve had bikes with welded and billet BTL’s and I can’t tell them apart, I just don’t have anyone local I trust to weld mine and have heard of a few welded ones occasionally breaking. 

Much as modern bikes with high tech are frowned upon, in the case of the Busa there’s so much that swaps and changes, there’s a direct and slow evolution with Hayabusa’s which brings many benefits.  

72-F418-B9-3-D8-F-4-BA1-9-A4-D-7-ECD50-D

Edited by Tony Nitrous
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, clivegto said:

I picked a 1999 Hayabusa up this afternoon (25 years old O.o) cheap as its a none runner so I thought best started it's own thread. Plan is. 

1. Get it running. 

2. Upgrade forks and shock. 

3. Upgrade brakes. 

4. Fit lighter wheels. 

5. Turbo it B|

Sounds easy peasy don't it xDIMG_20240528_155333.thumb.jpg.d0253e089f949c44016c8b88f8cbbbf4.jpg  . 

I wouldn't be surprised if you jump from step 1 to 5 :D 

8 hours ago, imago said:

Lmfao :tu

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Don't try and start them with less than a fully charged battery as they have been known to break the engine case ... :S

:o That's one to watch for then! What causes it?

13 minutes ago, imago said:

:o That's one to watch for then! What causes it?

Later bikes used different parts in the starter, never had a problem but I know it exists.

A mate has a 24v starter on his, a second smaller battery mounted in the right hand tail plastic. Bike charges both as 12v, the bike runs its normal 12v system, but feeds 24v to the starter.  It’s not a rare things, there are a few off the shelf kits available, normally on monster motor bikes.

We jokingly call it an “Electric Startler”

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

Don't try and start them with less than a fully charged battery as they have been known to break the engine case ... :S

Yes I've heard the clutch can spin backwards and smash the case. Fitted brand new battery from another project  (y)

• Like 2

Oil cooler was proper fooked and the bottom of the radiator is rotten as well but don't leak. I rigged a temporary oil cooler up using fittings I had in my box of leftover fittings just to see if it would run again. Topped it up with oil and water pressed the go button and it fired but didn't start :(. Whipped a couple of plugs out which were sparking fine so gave the injector body's a sniff of easy start pressed the go button and it fired straight up :D. Lots of smoke but no leaks then it splutterd and stopped O.o. Tried starting it again and no go left it a while then tried again fired straight up again. No fault codes comming up on the mk2 dash that has been fitted. Keeps doing this runs for a while then stops like it's run out of fuel, sometimes fires straight up sometimes doesn't ? IMG_20240529_164102.thumb.jpg.22b9d0079bf64014200a3b3f03447b8d.jpg IMG_20240529_164131.thumb.jpg.b6301676e77eaebe9bbeb2e5d027c09a.jpg IMG_20240529_164122.thumb.jpg.b626eb2353c6c98df2296f3ae3a91e57.jpg IMG_20240529_164349.thumb.jpg.d9780c0710c2bf2f9c248474725f1c73.jpg IMG_20240529_165910.thumb.jpg.83abdabe2505853bf9391e18d34582d8.jpg

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

sounds like a fuel pump issue Clive. 

Yes that's what I is thinking Tony but not having ha any experience with these before I don't know for sure. Just tried it again and it fired straight up ran for 5 min then cut out. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Yes that's what I is thinking Tony but not having ha any experience with these before I don't know for sure. Just tried it again and it fired straight up ran for 5 min then cut out. 

the filters inside get blocked and looses fuel pressure, time for a strip me thinks,

teabag filters are pretty cheap :tu 

Edited by TonyGee
  • Like 1