Hi guys/ladies

Hopefuly I'm posting this in the right place.

My mate has acquired a 94 gsxr750. Starts great, ticks over great, handles great and flies straight up to 86mph great. 

Problem is it won't go past 86mph. It's not restricted on the revs or power output. 

I've had a look myself and this is what I can tell you. Please bare in mind I'm not to hot with technical stuff.

It has tps, it has a cable speedo ( THERES NO ELECTRONIC SPEED SENSOR). I was told it had kph clocks originally. It has what I think to be a cdi and loom off a 96 onwards gsxr750. 

I have searched the net and here and I couldn't find a 94 gsxr with TPS and the 94 cdi or ECU has different plug fittings.

I will pop a photo of the cdi and m max thingy that I found under the seat. 

I will also add photos of what I think should be on there.

My final thoughts is the loom and cdi have been replaced and it's playing up because there's no speed sensor.

It's probably something really stupid that's staring me in the eye.

Ide like to thank you all in advance . 

IMG_20240429_141856478.jpg

IMG_20240429_142742375.jpg

Dunno what the 'M-Max' device is - certainly not Suzuki std fitment! Maybe some sort of restriction device? If it won't go past 86mph it is certainly restricted - what happens when it gets to 86mph and what are the rev's / rpm doing? Same in 4th / 5th / 6th ? I don't believe 94 GSXR's had speed sensing integrated - TPS was just for load adjustments.

might be a long shot but ive fitted a learner restrictor kit to 600 bandits, they are just big washers shoved in the inlet rubbers with a smaller hole in the middle,  im probably way off but worth a look, who knows whats been done in its history !!!!  O.o

Cheers guys. The m max it seems is a derestriction device. There's no washers in exhaust. He redlined it in first. He said it revs as it should but the revs stop slightly lower in each gear at 86mph.  He said it's like he just stops turning the throttle when he gets to 86

2 hours ago, lowriderade said:

Cheers guys. The m max it seems is a derestriction device. There's no washers in exhaust. He redlined it in first. He said it revs as it should but the revs stop slightly lower in each gear at 86mph.  He said it's like he just stops turning the throttle when he gets to 86

not in the exhaust in the inlet rubbers.  the reason why i said is ive fitted some restriction washers to other bikes is, a 600 bandit rev's and rides just exactly the same BUT when it reaches around 80-85 mph it won't go any faster. 

It worked well :D

But that said mine also had the exact same symptoms and top speed. It was a 93 version, i played around with jetting (after finding that the mains on the bike when i got it had been redrilled to around 230 ? )

I put back the manuals size jets and ditched the chink K&N pods for a real airbox and OEM filter, but it never ran right

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

not in the exhaust in the inlet rubbers.  the reason why i said is ive fitted some restriction washers to other bikes is, a 600 bandit rev's and rides just exactly the same BUT when it reaches around 80-85 mph it won't go any faster. 

Cheers. I will get him to look. 

I had a import 400 years ago in that a mate picked up, with a M max derestriction box on it, they plug into the gear sensor and trick the cdi into thinking the bike is in a lower gear so you get full revs in a higher gear.

Went straight over the garden wall when i booted it. 

5 hours ago, TonyGee said:

Sorry . I was walking the dog when I read your post and I misread it . 

Posted (edited)

Is the bike an import intended for the Swiss market? They used to be castrated in the factory. Look in any genuine owner's manual and you'll see the power output for models intended for Switzerland to be about half what they should be. However, even with half power it should still go a lot faster than 86 mph O.o

Edited by Dezza
On 5/1/2024 at 2:12 AM, Dezza said:

Is the bike an import intended for the Swiss market? They used to be castrated in the factory. Look in any genuine owner's manual and you'll see the power output for models intended for Switzerland to be about half what they should be. However, even with half power it should still go a lot faster than 86 mph O.o

It's not an import. And it's like a missile up to 86 then it's like he stopped turning the throttle.  We're going to look at fitting a speed sensor. If that doesn't work we will get a loom and cdi of a 94 gsxr750

2 hours ago, bunk said:

Is there any way to figure out its intended market? Its obviously restricted wit that box put on it.

We are trying to get some history on it. I have a feeling it was a bit of a project that someone couldn't get sorted before my mate acquired it.  I'm convinced it has the wrong cdi 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Easy enough to check a part number against what is supposed to be fitted on somewhere like Robinson Foundry or CMSNL ? (providing the part # tag is still legible!)

32900-17E201 31800-5680 

This is what's on the bike. But I'm struggling to find it any where apart from a repair site. 

When I search for the 1994 cdi I get a different one. 

32900-17E00 131800 5661 

He's having a break from it at the moment, it's doing his head in. 

Edited by lowriderade
Paragraph deletion
1 hour ago, TxGsRider said:

32900-17E201 is listed as an igniter Unit 88-91 gsxr 750 California Only per Partzilla

That would explain why it wasn't 'visible' at UK or European sources! Even so, it should be 'full power' unless the emission restrictions extend into the CDI's as well? This is really getting strange as its acting like the Jap market bikes with restriction based on speed but 86 mph is too low, they are restricted to 112mph I believe?, all done within the speedo - needle passes sensor and ignition cut occurs.  This bitsa is turning into an enigma!

5 hours ago, TxGsRider said:

32900-17E201 is listed as an igniter Unit 88-91 gsxr 750 California Only per Partzilla

Oh dear. I copied and pasted the numbers but not sure where the 1 at the end came from.

I just searched again minus the 1 and this is what I found.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=131800-5680+gsxr750&sca_esv=d37586a3b186efe8&sca_upv=1&biw=432&bih=810&ei=Pkk1Zv_6AZGshbIP0qis8Aw&oq=131800-5680+gsxr750&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIhMxMzE4MDAtNTY4MCBnc3hyNzUwMggQABiABBiiBDIIEAAYgAQYogRI8R9QlxtYlxtwAHgAkAEAmAFRoAGRAaoBATK4AQPIAQD4AQGYAgGgAleYAwCIBgGSBwExoAe_Aw&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

5 hours ago, TxGsRider said:

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

That would explain why it wasn't 'visible' at UK or European sources! Even so, it should be 'full power' unless the emission restrictions extend into the CDI's as well? This is really getting strange as its acting like the Jap market bikes with restriction based on speed but 86 mph is too low, they are restricted to 112mph I believe?, all done within the speedo - needle passes sensor and ignition cut occurs.  This bitsa is turning into an enigma!

Just so you know, i copied and pasted the numbers and the number 1 was added some how. 

He has changed the clocks to see if that made a difference. No change. This gsxr also has tps. Should it have a speed sensor as well .

I'm popping over next week if I get chance ( I'm stripping my gsxr11). I'm going to video the cdi and loom and TPS and anything else I can think of. It's easier than typing