Bloody clutch again

What clutch plates are you running? The motors with the shim behind that washer came with 11 steels instead of 9 and 10 drive plates instead of 9. The drive plates were thinner,  1.85mm instead of 2.6mm. The clutch pack started and ended with a steel.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:41 AM, johnr said:

Check that the two dogs on the oil pump gear behind the basket  are engaging correctly in their slots in the back of the clutch basket. If they're not, the basket will be spaced wrong and the clutch won't disengage.

Thanks for that I'll have a look tomorrow 

As johnr says, and, when you offer the basket up, and think it's located correctly, put your fingers under it and try to move the oil pump pinion. If the basket's located properly you won't be able to move the pinion more than a tooths click.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:04 PM, Swiss Toni said:

As johnr says, and, when you offer the basket up, and think it's located correctly, put your fingers under it and try to move the oil pump pinion. If the basket's located properly you won't be able to move the pinion more than a tooths click.

What an arse that was , didn't see this post until after I'd done it . Was that pissed off after i put it back together just locked the shed up . Will have to check operation when get home later 

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

We all have days like that! As they say, ‘The man who never makes a mistake … is the man who hasn’t done fuck all’!

Every day’s a school day!

in the word's of Bob Ross "we don't make mistakes we have happy accidents"  :D   

• Like 1

Well it's still not disengaging but dragging when in gear when pushing so. . Think ill start her up at weekend to look see . Oh took the heavy duty clutch springs out too  ! Um when i first posted this i hadn't removed the back basket so I'm wondering if the new clutch plates are right ? Assuming so as they came from sps . Guess I'll have to take the cover back off and have another look see . Thanks for the help , appreciate it (y)

15 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

Silly question, but has the clutch cable got sufficient freeplay? If so, have you tried running it with the clutch lever pulled in until warm to check whether the plates are sticking?

Good point . Spent weeks fucking around with gsxr 11 clutch to no avail .struck her up put it in gear and nailed it , problem solved . Did find one of the steels was a bit sticky in the esd basket so may have to get some new ones. But think the burnout method will be the first port of call

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

in the word's of Bob Ross "we don't make mistakes we have happy accidents"  :D   

Bob Ross. Nice bloke, great artist, chats utter bollocks. I've had my share of accidents, and I can say hand on heart none of them were happy. O.oxD

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Still dragging, got king track fibres and changed one of the steels that was a bit sticky , so assuming I've got the washers in the right orientation as mentioned at the start of the thread is is worth trying the old plates to see if the new ones are the problem , it rides OK just have to adjust all the free play out and then some , add another steel ? 

17 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Check the starting position of the arm on the case 

if it's at wrong angle before clutch is pulled in you can have a lot of wasted motion ..

Just wound all the adjusters in and moved the arm , still dragging, never had this before, all I've done is change the plates 17122551294141432977802362923044.thumb.jpg.bcbc2ceac9b17080b2c8f3d7545e7d66.jpg

5 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

had the same issue with my 1100, went back to OEM plates and new OEM springs

Got the oem springs back in , guess I'll try the old plates back in and apart from them slipping if the clutch works properly that's me answere 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Whats the basket and inner hub like ? 

If there are ridges where the plates sit then they won't help with clutch disengagement  

Not too bad for 47000 miles , ordered a 16 valve manual so will wait for that before stripping again just to be sure everything else is right , someone mentioned the thrust and Bush washers being other way round if it was the ten plate model but ebc list all of them 9 plates finishing with a fibre 

1 minute ago, imago said:

O.o More? Some would have done. xD

Not sure if I've got one of these but I can have a rummage Monday for you?

Yeah i know mate just ordered one from sps, mines fucked, where's me glassesO.o

• Like 1