Bloody clutch again

3 minutes ago, gsx said:

Yeah i know mate just ordered one from sps, mines fucked, where's me glassesO.o

You sometimes go onto auto-pilot with stuff like that. Strip it down, check all the plates carefully, see what the springs and back plate are like, check the basket for ridges and don't even glance at the inner.

Shit happens, you've found the issue. :tu

• Like 1

Would seem that there were numerous small tweaks over the years , now i have a manual,new clutch inner should be here this week and even this changed early on with longer bolts and bushes used and that has again been superceded by a steel centre one , think I'll just take me time and double check everything , thanks all for the input.

2 hours ago, gsx said:

Would seem that there were numerous small tweaks over the years , now i have a manual,new clutch inner should be here this week and even this changed early on with longer bolts and bushes used and that has again been superceded by a steel centre one , think I'll just take me time and double check everything , thanks all for the input.

Is it done yet O.o

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, clivegto said:

My efe one drags a bit if that's any constellation. 

Was fine before mate, think the sps fibres are too thick , going to chuck the old ones back in , even though they slipped are strangely 2.6 mm or a smidgen above .oh that piano wire that holds the first steel and gubbins , is it important as  could not get it on new drum 

Edited by gsx

Yup chatters like a cunt but works with old plates in , will be making another phone call to supplier in morning. While been typing this with bike running ,chatter died down . All this hassle cause of a set of shit plates 

7 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

Can you fit a set of new oem plates and use oem, original steels that aren't blued/warped if you have some to hand?

New oem is next on the list , steels are fine. Everyone on here says oem but thought that was a longevity issue not the clutch working or not . 2.6 mm vs just over 3mm for sps ones makes the stack plus 3mm if me maths is right 

3 hours ago, gsx said:

Was fine before mate, think the sps fibres are too thick , going to chuck the old ones back in , even though they slipped are strangely 2.6 mm or a smidgen above .oh that piano wire that holds the first steel and gubbins , is it important as  could not get it on new drum 

Why could you not get it on ?  something wrong there maybe 

i,ve used trac king plates mixed with OEM plates without any problems 

what's actually wrong with the stock plates ? 

plates that slip normally measure thinner than others ..

That aside 

according to Fowlers'  & Alpha sports an 83 ESD only has one washer behind the clutch basket not two  so is your hub sitting further out than it should be  

Manual doesn't show extra thrust washers but mentions it in later revision , parts book I've got for 83 on shows it . End of the day clutch started to slip so changed the plates and that's all ,wouldn't expect  to have to mix and match plates with an off the shelf replacement specific kit . Live and learn , oem plates way forward