GSx1100 Dresda Solitaire (I may have had a Clivecident).

imago

29 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

I don't recall Dresda making swingarms ..just frame kits :/

But yeap defiantly a Period Davida Arm  .:tu

Dresda made them, but they look very similar to Davida. From what you read they were on good terms and loads of helping out and swapping went on, Davida supplied some arms to Dresda at one point.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dezza said:

I quite like the swingarm: it's the real deal, period correct. My guess it's going to look a whole lot better refurbished and on the bike that's all put together correctly rather than in its previous cobbled-together bodge-up state :).

The amended (yet again) plan is that I'll get it blasted and coated at the same time as the frame. Then I'll use that until I find something better, probably a JMC/Metmachex.

Seems daft to keep the bike off the road while I wait for an arm to turn up.

46 minutes ago, imago said:

The amended (yet again) plan is that I'll get it blasted and coated at the same time as the frame. Then I'll use that until I find something better, probably a JMC/Metmachex.

Seems daft to keep the bike off the road while I wait for an arm to turn up.

If it were me I would make the arm wider for a bigger wheel like I said before but it's your build :tu

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, clivegto said:

If it were me I would make the arm wider for a bigger wheel like I said before but it's your build :tu

It's an option but I have some very nice wheels (Saxon) sorted now so I want to get them here and measure/try the fit. As it's only going to be a temporary arm while I search out a nice JMC or Metmachex I have no issue putting the angry grinder to it. :tu

The current sticking point and only thing keeping it from being an engine in roller is a nice RWU front end, but these things take time I guess.

2 minutes ago, Havoc said:

They're just working their way through the OSS massive B| 

Tends to be the way with bikes and bits, the rarer or more oddball something is the more it seems to do the rounds. Still shaking my head when I think of you suggesting I go on 'UK Specials' to find info on the Dresda to find that a previous owner is on there. We're paddling in a very shallow pond when it comes to these bikes now, not many of them about, but a very small market too.

14 minutes ago, Loudpipes said:

Like those wheels but whys the rear wheel got no bolts or holes holding it together or is the front just bolted for looks ?

It's a good question, and there's probably an equally good answer. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it will be good. :D

31 minutes ago, Loudpipes said:

Like those wheels but whys the rear wheel got no bolts or holes holding it together or is the front just bolted for looks ?

I also have no idea, I'm going up to work in a bit, I'll check to see if the front is split rim or whether the bolts are just for show. My intention, had I kept them would have been to add bolts to the rear, I don't believe it would compromise rim integrity.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Havoc said:

I also have no idea, I'm going up to work in a bit, I'll check to see if the front is split rim or whether the bolts are just for show. My intention, had I kept them would have been to add bolts to the rear, I don't believe it would compromise rim integrity.

It's one of those things where you have to see them in the flesh to make the call. My plan (subject to the usual caveats, wind direct, distractions etc) is to fit them as they are, get as much of the rest of it together for a dry build, then see if I can decide on colours for the frame, bodywork, wheel centres and so on. Once that's done then bits like the rim bolts will come on the back of that.

At the moment I'm thinking either a monochrome approach to the bike as a whole, running from bare aluminium alloy colour to a charcoal grey but avoiding black. Or, loud colour for the frame such as the orange it was in the '90s and something contrasting for the rest. A couple of outside possibilities are to base the whole scheme on the Gulf Racing scheme because I've always liked it, or for the same reason the black and gold JPS scheme. Both of those have been done to death, but would look good IMHO as it's basically a race bike so it'd probably get away with it without looking naff.

A fair way to go before it becomes urgent I know, but I find it easier if I have at least a few possibilities to ponder.

29 minutes ago, Havoc said:

Front is split rim, rear isn't.  Spoke design and rims identical in every other way bar size?? Go figure 9_9

Earlier and later design I'd guess? Aside from manufacturing restrictions there's no benefit to split rims, so presumably they tooled up at some point and changed over.