GSx1100 Dresda Solitaire (I may have had a Clivecident).

imago

Get down to wickes b&q screwfix etc etc and buy a few lengths of foam 15mm pipe insulation , the price of a couple of  fancy coffees will get you enough I'm sure

Ps that mono shock isn't blingy enough :D

Edited by DAZ
1 hour ago, DAZ said:

Ps that mono shock isn't blingy enough :D

xD That's my test shock for the length, and happily it sits perfectly with standard length ET shocks so that'll make ordering something more in keeping a bit more straight forward. 

• Like 1

First piece of the spacer puzzle, get the swing arm in and central. Make up spacers which are accurate, but also look in keeping. 

They need to contact with the inner bearing runners and leave a gap in the outer to take an 'O' ring. 

20240119_093202.thumb.jpg.ff3b84ee0f40b34a095fc873ecf8df74.jpg20240119_102046.thumb.jpg.32aaa06b763bf53a923b05f001a1aeb0.jpg20240119_105123.thumb.jpg.488c3629b82318c9644c265a462cd1a8.jpg20240119_110355.thumb.jpg.2ae96c20a33e432dca29924d2fb3325d.jpg20240119_102346.thumb.jpg.6e49a0346437c908ab085f1165358396.jpg20240119_102300.thumb.jpg.fa64eb4abc5286c55378d46d0abcd4a1.jpg20240119_102249.thumb.jpg.098151c36761411ea91230b3030a4b50.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Have you got everything thing you need to pit it together today. 

Almost, the main missing components are the stage 2 cams and slotted gears and that's purely down to me not being organised enough to order them before now. I also need/want to slot it into the frame without the head so that I can see if it can come off without dropping the engine or scratching the new powder coat.

Still got to sort the rear brake calliper mount and sprocket carrier along with spacers for the rear wheel. Just didn't fancy all the measuring and standing at the lathe again today. I'll get the tyres on the rims this coming week hopefully and then I'll be much happier with where it is. (y)

The new timing plan is to get it as an engine in roller in time to take to Stafford in April if they give @Paulmthe nod for a stand.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DAZ said:

That's going to be a healthy deep breathing motor, that'll fly in that chassis I'm sure 

Lightweight race pistons, Upperton prepped bottom end, big valve head, stage 2 cams, Ignitech ignition and 38 mm flat slides. My target is to have similar power and weight to a K1 GSXR100 but with a shit load more torque.

Either this bike is going to exceed my abilities by some margin or I am am a riding god after all. xD

• Like 2

As a point of interest, I worked out what it would cost to build an engine like this now from scratch. Five grand is the number I got to, but fortunately all the really expensive stuff and work was bought and done some time ago. This frame just gave me the ideal opportunity to put it all together along with some other tasty bits like the Cowley exhaust.

I doubt there will be too many air cooled engines getting scratch built to this or a similar spec now. It's just not viable when you can get similar output for 20% of the cost from an oil boiler. :(

2 hours ago, imago said:

Lightweight race pistons, Upperton prepped bottom end, big valve head, stage 2 cams, Ignitech ignition and 38 mm flat slides. My target is to have similar power and weight to a K1 GSXR100 but with a shit load more torque.

Either this bike is going to exceed my abilities by some margin or I am am a riding god after all. xD

The torque is what makes a big engine fun, I know I don't have to explain that to you,I would ALWAYS take 10 ftlb of midrange over 10 bhp at the top end :tu

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DAZ said:

The torque is what makes a big engine fun, I know I don't have to explain that to you,I would ALWAYS take 10 ftlb of midrange over 10 bhp at the top end :tu

Roll on, and getting it in motion from a stand still.

A high horsepower, higher revving engine is fun, but it gets a bit frenetic. So ticking with the K1 GSXR comparison having the same power two or three thousand rpm lower down the revs with more torque should make for an entertaining ride without being as busy.

It'll be an interesting comparison to see the increase in torque between stock ET, the Dresda in the 150 - 160 range and the draw through in the 220 - 250 range. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DAZ said:

Bang a turbo on and you get both my Harris is making 260hp and 148 ftlb. That's said I'm planning on building a very similar ET motor to this one. 

3 hours ago, imago said:

So ticking with the K1 GSXR comparison having the same power two or three thousand rpm lower down the revs with more torque should make for an entertaining ride without being as busy.

It'll be an interesting comparison to see the increase in torque between stock ET, the Dresda in the 150 - 160 range and the draw through in the 220 - 250 range. 

My mate Si had a K4 1000 with a Yoshimura map on it making 180hp and the power delivery was brutal. There wasn't a lot in it in the real world riding on the road comparing it the the 230hp Scratcher at the time. 

It will be interesting to see your comparison with these 2 builds. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Bang a turbo on and you get both my Harris is making 260hp and 148 ftlb. That's said I'm planning on building a very similar ET motor to this one. 

My mate Si had a K4 1000 with a Yoshimura map on it making 180hp and the power delivery was brutal. There wasn't a lot in it in the real world riding on the road comparing it the the 230hp Scratcher at the time. 

It will be interesting to see your comparison with these 2 builds. 

All my turbo-ness will be going into the draw through, and I don't fancy the work or bills for getting two air cooled engines in a state to handle that sort of thump. xD

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how they pan out, but I already know which will be the keeper. :tu

4 minutes ago, clivegto said:

There all keepers xD :tu

I really can't see me keeping the Dresda for any great length of time. It's been a great frame to use up a load of goodies which I have had for ages without having a suitable bike or project to use them on. I've also enjoyed finding various rare bits and oddities, predominantly from OSS members. (y) I'm really enjoying the build, and it should be a cracking end result which will get a few runs out, taken to a couple of shows and then moved on. The main reason being the riding position with the clip ons would ruin my neck on anything much longer than a half hour ride. So I'm enjoying owning it, but have no particular attachment to it which makes it fairly easy for me to part with it down the line. 

I could put bars on it but that would look bloody awful on a frame like that IMHO as the tank and overall shape is a lot more slender than the top end of a Harris. It'd look like one of those push bikes from the '70s that we stuck 'cow horns' on. xD

• Like 2
1 hour ago, imago said:

Snug is a good description. It definitely wouldn't go in with the head on, but it's in. 

The 1428 was a pain to get in and out of the Mag II. Got the hang of it in the end, empty frame over built motor  

33motorinpegs.thumb.jpg.0e70fd46ba58b7817be99ce2cc69a0b8.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.566424c0454b40912395d9203edea22e.jpg

33 right side angle.jpg

33 motor.jpg

33 motor close up.jpg

• Like 1

It's a fiddle, but once the bottom end and barrels are in place then there's room to drop the head on before the mounting bolts go through.

I'll need to check alignment and make up some spacers for the mounting bolts. Then it'll be full steam ahead to get it to roller stage. (y)

• Like 1