Removing carb inlet rubbers

Basel

Got the engine out of my Slingshot, I’m trying to get the carb rubbers off but every cross head screw is so tight they are on the verge of rounding out.

I’ve tried with a ratchet and a battery screw driver, tried molegrips too but there is little to grip on and they won’t budge.

I thought about using an impact driver but it may damage the head.

Another thought was to cut the rubbers out then get a good grip with some molegrips. 
An thoughts would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Basel said:

Thanks for the input, it gives me different steps, if one doesn’t work move onto the next till I get to drilling a  head off. 

Yeah, the JIS bits aren't magical or anything, but they're a hell of a lot more effective than a normal phillips bit on stubborn screws. Biggest difference is they're a lot less likely to immediately strip the screw head and require drilling or notching. Good luck.

• Like 2

Heat can also be applied directly to a screw by holding a crappy (JIS!!!) screwdriver as supplied in a bike toolkit in a pair of mole grips and then heating the screwdriver shaft with a blowtorch whilst the screwdriver is held in the screwhead. The heat conducts across the screwdriver into the screw.

+1 on being extra careful with the impact driver on these screws as it can easily all end in tears:(.

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 2

All off, thanks for the help guys. 
What worked for me was a tiny chisel and tapping it with a hammer to get them to start, only had one that caused issues but it came out eventually. 
The soldiering iron method didn’t transfer enough heat even after 30 minutes. 
I didn’t use the impact drive out of fear of breaking something. 

IMG_3903.jpeg

• Like 2