What's the difference?

DaveV65

1 hour ago, DaveV65 said:

Many years back I had a 1983 GSX1100 ET or was it an EX? I have seen a number of posts saying there wasn't much difference between the two models, was it just a revised name for the later years or are there specific differences?

the 80 (et) and 81 (ex) where the same bike but im sure the last one they did in 82 had different clocks and a round headlight with the same bodywork. also in 82 they changed the look of the bodywork with the EZ. 

in this history the 3rd model with the round headlight and clocks isn't shown !!!!!!!  

Suzuki GSX1100E model history (suzukicycles.org)

The black engine, welded crank and extra cam cover bolts came in with the EX (improved design from the Kat). But, some of the EX had the ET engine, some had silver engines with welded cranks and extra cam cover bolts and some with the black engine.

Suzuki did a rolling introduction rather than a hard cut off as like a lot of manufacturers they used up what they had before going to the new stuff.

1 hour ago, imago said:

The black engine, welded crank and extra cam cover bolts came in with the EX (improved design from the Kat). But, some of the EX had the ET engine, some had silver engines with welded cranks and extra cam cover bolts and some with the black engine.

Suzuki did a rolling introduction rather than a hard cut off as like a lot of manufacturers they used up what they had before going to the new stuff.

i did not know that, thought the crank welding started in '83.

So do i understand correctly - the silver EX engine with 24 bolt cam covers also had a welded crank ?

Edited by Rijko
6 minutes ago, Rijko said:

i did not know that, thought the crank welding started in '83.

So do i understand correctly - the silver EX engine with 24 bolt cam covers also had a welded crank ?

Yes, but it seems not all 24 bolt have them. AFAIK the change to 24 bolt covers came first to cure the oil leak issues then the welded cranks fed in.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, imago said:

Yes, but it seems not all 24 bolt have them. AFAIK the change to 24 bolt covers came first to cure the oil leak issues then the welded cranks fed in.

right, that *may* be good news for me, i have a spare engine with 24 bolt head but never thought it could have a welded crank.
Will check that this weekend, fingers crossed :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, imago said:

Going purely on the ones I've seen I'd say it's extremely likely. (y)

I'd say the opposite.  I have a U.S. 82 GS1100ez silver motor with 24 bolt head and it had a twisted crank.  151064 is the number stamped on my motor.   I've seen wive's tales about when the transition was made based on that number but have never seen an actual silver motor with a welded crank, that wasn't warrantied.  

I bought mine new in 1984 as a left over.  I knew about the cranks and had also heard about the serial number transition before I bought it.  I asked very specific questions of the Dealer concerning the crank.  He went into his office and came back with a book and then looked at my serial number and said "Yep, your's has a welded crank."  At the time the dealer had two 83 black engine bikes and three 82s.  The 83 were $400 more.  

I said great I want the silver motor but can you please write this information on the Bill of Sale and initial it, which he did.  One month later the crank twisted.  We had a very uncomfortable meeting at that point where he not only guaranteed to make it right with a new welded crank, but also provided new Yosh cams and Pipe as compensation.  Lost a whole summer waiting for the engine to be rebuilt at the 10K mile mark.  I put 10K on in a month doing a cross country trip with wife, thankfully the crank twisted as we pulled back into my driveway not in the middle of the country.   

I believe you can see the welds on the crank when the clutch cover is removed, but I'll let someone else confirm that statement.  

Edited by Isleoman
24 minutes ago, Isleoman said:

I'd say the opposite.  I have a U.S. 82 GS1100ez silver motor with 24 bolt head and it had a twisted crank.  151064 is the number stamped on my motor.   I've seen wive's tales about when the transition was made based on that number but have never seen an actual silver motor with a welded crank, that wasn't warrantied.  

I bought mine new in 1984 as a left over.  I knew about the cranks and had also heard about the serial number transition before I bought it.  I asked very specific questions of the Dealer concerning the crank.  He went into his office and came back with a book and then looked at my serial number and said "Yep, your's has a welded crank."  At the time the dealer had two 83 black engine bikes and three 82s.  The 83 were $400 more.  

I said great I want the silver motor but can you please write this information on the Bill of Sale and initial it, which he did.  One month later the crank twisted.  We had a very uncomfortable meeting at that point where he not only guaranteed to make it right with a new welded crank, but also provided new Yosh cams and Pipe as compensation.  Lost a whole summer waiting for the engine to be rebuilt at the 10K mile mark.  I put 10K on in a month doing a cross country trip with wife, thankfully the crank twisted as we pulled back into my driveway not in the middle of the country.   

I believe you can see the welds on the crank when the clutch cover is removed, but I'll let someone else confirm that statement.  

I have a silver engine on the racking with a factory welded crank. Like I said, the transition was a real mix and match period, and when you add in early and late registrations of the same model year meaning that an EX can carry an '81, 82', '83 or even '84 plate and there's no definitive cut off that anyone can give with confidence.

4 hours ago, TonyGee said:

Its funny how most people call's them an ET no matter what year they are. 9_9  I tried to find a pic of the last model with the round clocks and headlight but coudn't find one !!!!  i do have a pic or 2 but they are on my other (broken) laptop :/

Round headlight and clocks could be ordered from the start for the et/ex 750 they used the same gauges as the 850G

last models came with a different gauge I've read the transition year end of line 82 750 model came with better cams but never seen any concrete proof

images - 2023-09-13T205916.463.jpeg

Capture+_2023-09-13-21-08-59.png

Capture+_2023-09-13-21-09-31.png

Edited by Safra
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, TonyGee said:

the black 83 engine i put in my ET you could see the welds on one of the crank webs with the clutch cover off. 

Thanks for confirming that.  I knew it was only one weld you could view, but that's all it takes  to remove any doubt. 

I'm sure a very high percentage of non welded 1982 cranks never had an issue and never knew.

There was a GSR member that was maintaining a spreadsheet on engine serial #s and crank condition , from member supplied info, to try and pin point the change over, but I never saw a final answer.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TonyGee said:

the black 83 engine i put in my ET you could see the welds on one of the crank webs with the clutch cover off. 

Yes Sir, as seen below

20230319_101622.jpg

I had the clutch basket out recently to install the GSX750 oil pump gears on mine & had to have a look-see.

Edited by slayer61
add
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

one thing to remember though, they might be welded but not fully, but better than no weld at all :tu

Welding it beyond a half weld isn't going to save much. If there's enough thump on the journals to break a half welded crank then the only difference on a fully welded crank would be fucked roller bearings being the reason for stripping it rather than a twist. 

• Like 3