1983 GS750ESD

Suzukian

4 hours ago, Dezza said:

Do GSX1400 forks have adjustable damping? They're likely to be relatively long for modern forks and to cope with the wieght of a big aircooled lump, seeing as the donor bike is also a bit of a heffer.

the 1400 was never sold in the USA so i might be a bit more difficult to find there.

I have a set of 1400 forks (without yokes)here, can post dimensions if needed.

Edited by Captain Chaos

Found a Stem and bottom bracket from a GS700 (which is the same is the GS750ESD) and got if off of etbagy for $40 bucks, free shipping.  I'll be able to press that stem out, it came with all the bolts, spacers, lock nut and top nut.  Next step will be to press it into my spare ZZR1200 front end and see how it goes.  This will be a way off as I have to redo the cylinder heads on my Motorhome (Caravan), as a head gasket is blown.  It's a very expensive motor, 454 Chevy, 40K miles on it..  I like to tow  the 2 bikes so when I get somewhere nice, I can go for a ride and look around, or in case of breakdown.

There's a rim with both discs for $125 bucks.  Gotta think about this.  Too many projects in parallel. It may be a while.  I'm not gone though!!  Too many nice projects, and I'm not done lurking at all the bike pics. :)

the mk1 and mk2 forks are similar but up to 99 the mudguard is bolted to the fork brace (bracket) with top mounts, the mk2 has a more conventional mudguard mounts on the side of the legs. also the calliper mount holes are different.  decent enough forks though. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

the mk1 and mk2 forks are similar but up to 99 the mudguard is bolted to the fork brace (bracket) with top mounts, the mk2 has a more conventional mudguard mounts on the side of the legs. also the calliper mount holes are different.  decent enough forks though. 

Mk2 won’t have a speedo cable though!

I can mount the lower triple into my lathe, use a carbide tip to cut the weld, if that doesn't work, I can mount a grinder and make  a nice round grind till I get pass the weld.  There's a bunch of ways to deal with that.  Things is, if this set up works, I can buy a front wheel for $145 bucks from a guy and I have a full set of brakes and master cylinder.  Literally the only thing I wouldn't have is a fender.  At that point I'd have around $200 into the change, and the bike can be returned to original very easily.  Keep the ideas coming though, because I have so little invested now, changing methods is something I'm open to, and you guys have been the most knowledgeable I've ever conversed with.  That's not smoke up you arses either, it's the truth. So if I went looking for bandit parts, and wanted to avoid the modified speedo route, what year would I be looking for? 

I know I ask a lot, but I have a library of around 10K paper models, and that includes all the modern Sci-Fi stuff, and it's all free.  P.M. me if you are interested.  My forum is free to all, it's international, and we have a shitload of U.K., and EU members.  I'm not looking for members, just a way of giving something back.  :)  

Hah!  I actually have a pre-AMF Fender Stratocaster from the late 1960's.   I have a 5 string base and 3 Violins.  One  is a 1947 Georgi Johanis from West Germany, very few were made, and this one is in almost new condition.  I have restored a few violins.  I make the bridges from scratch.    I love music!  :banana:

The 1999 Bandit mk1 1200 will be my next parts search, this kind of information is invaluable. Thank You! :)

I think the ability to just sit and play music is a blast, whatever the instrument.  I saw a video with Steve Howe playing a $100 dollar guitar, and he was fantastic.  He said, "It's not the guitar", Steve Howe could say that with authority.

The Bandit front ends out here are either still on their bikes, but there are no listings any where for virtually any years, let alone a '98.  There was a rolling chassis with engine, for "Parts Only", no tank, side cover, gauges, and they were asking $2000 dollars!!  This isn't a priority for me.  I read somewhere that some SRAD parts could be made to fit.  The bike is old, though it runs like a well taken care of sewing machine, so maybe I'll just have to keep it stock.  I do get a lot of compliments on it when I ride (though they could be snickering when I leave, you never know). An easy front tire swap is very attractive though.

I'd like to have more options for front tires, but the handling, well I'm so used to it, it's 2nd nature.  It will be a matter of cost and availability that determines this.  I can do minor machining and pressing, but do not want to modify the frame. :)

I guess the bandit didn't sell as good as it did in Europe ???  if you just want a better tyre choice then you could fit a wheel of something like a bandit 600 or something ?  not quite as wide as a B12 but plenty of tyre choice.  i did that on one of my projects.  

this was a mix of bits I had lying around, GS750 frame GSX750 engine and GSX1100 swinger and forks. I used bandit 600 wheels (same as other mid range Suzuki's)  a little bit of a squeeze but doable !!!! the disc's where about 3mm from the fork legs but the main thing is they cleared. 

20220724_130237.jpg

• Like 3

Precision & Jazz. Only two Fender bass’s worth having. Couldn’t get away with the six stringers! And, why get GS700 yokes? You’re tying yourself to skinny forks, ffs! B12 (or RF900 cheaper) or, RWU ZX-9R. Loads of choices out there. ‘The world’s your lobster, Terry boy’ ;)

Edited by Swiss Toni
20 hours ago, TonyGee said:

whats a fender guitar got to do with it ????  9_9 :D

Definitions US: Fender = mudguard (or wing if it's a car); UK = a make of US made geeeeetaaar. Piss taking like this should also apply to 'headers' i.e. something that will soon be banned in football (not soccer), when it quite clearly should be 'downpipes' O.o. Separated by a common language and all that.....

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Precision & Jazz. Only two Fender bass’s worth having. Couldn’t get away with the six stringers! And, why get GS700 yokes? You’re tying yourself to skinny forks, ffs! B12 (or RF900 cheaper) Ir, REU ZX-9R. Loads of choices out there. ‘The world’s your lobster, Terry boy’ ;)

I think the gs700 yoke was to provide a donor stem.

• Like 1

Yes, for the Stem, it was dirt cheap, and came with all the stem hardware, nuts, bearings, adjuster ring, top crown nut. :)

My wife is the owner of the Fender.  I have the 5 string bass and play violin. It is amazing how much our English differs.  I learned early to never ask for a "cough drop", Lozenge is the appropriate word.  The 5 string Bass was made by Hohner, the same company that makes Harmonicas.  They made them for around two years.  Natural clear matte finish, solid one piece wood hard body.  I paid very little for it.  They get around 6 times as much that I paid for it on efag. :)

Edited by Suzukian
8 hours ago, TonyGee said:

this was a mix of bits I had lying around, GS750 frame GSX750 engine and GSX1100 swinger and forks. I used bandit 600 wheels (same as other mid range Suzuki's)  a little bit of a squeeze but doable !!!! the disc's where about 3mm from the fork legs but the main thing is they cleared. 

20220724_130237.jpg

Just for clarification, did you use the forks and wheel off of the 600 Bandit, or just the whee, what year wheell?  In other words, will the Bandit front wheel alone bolt up to the GS750ESDbike, maybe some caliper work? ;)

Edited by Suzukian
added info
14 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

Just for clarification, did you use the forks and wheel off of the 600 Bandit, or just the whee, what year wheell?  In other words, will the Bandit front wheel alone bolt up to the GS750ESDbike, maybe some caliper work? ;)

no, the forks are off a GSX1100 (pretty much the same) but the wheel is a mk1 600 bandit.  i used a spindle that fitted the B6 wheel bearings and used a collar in the bottom of the forks (held in place by the 2 fork clamps) I had the speedo drive turned down a few mm and made a spacer to fit the other side to get the wheel in the middle. the callipers where also off a GSX11 that i already had and made a bracket so they lined up with the B6 disc's. 

this is the finished bike  before i sold it. 

20220919_185055.jpg

• Like 1

TonyGee :

Spindle (axle bolt)?  B6= Bandit wheel bearings from ( B6 = mk1 Bandit wheel)?     fabricated collar to fit bottom fork clamps?

Spacer to center wheel, understood.

"Speedo Drive turned down a little" .........Is that the knurled  part that screws the speedo drive cable into the pickup housing? (This is the part that has me stumped)

Was the axle fitting the bearings and axle, but too thin in diameter to be clamped by GS1100 forks, so you made collars so that the axle could clamp to the upper fork leg lowers, and opposing fork clamps, so the could be torqued?

The forks and upper and lower fork clamp with steering spindle, and fork assemblies are from GSX1100, you made brackets to align the brake calipers to line up with the Bandit Disc Brakes.

That's a really nice looking bike, by the way.  I hope what I'm asking makes sense  (this is where the old man jokes would be well deserved) There are many Bandit 600 wheels on ebag  :)

Edited by Suzukian
8 hours ago, Suzukian said:

TonyGee :

Spindle (axle bolt)?  B6= Bandit wheel bearings from ( B6 = mk1 Bandit wheel)?     fabricated collar to fit bottom fork clamps?

Spacer to center wheel, understood.

"Speedo Drive turned down a little" .........Is that the knurled  part that screws the speedo drive cable into the pickup housing? (This is the part that has me stumped)

Was the axle fitting the bearings and axle, but too thin in diameter to be clamped by GS1100 forks, so you made collars so that the axle could clamp to the upper fork leg lowers, and opposing fork clamps, so the could be torqued?

The forks and upper and lower fork clamp with steering spindle, and fork assemblies are from GSX1100, you made brackets to align the brake calipers to line up with the Bandit Disc Brakes.

That's a really nice looking bike, by the way.  I hope what I'm asking makes sense  (this is where the old man jokes would be well deserved) There are many Bandit 600 wheels on ebag  :)

spindle is the axle bolt that fitted the B600 bearings.

I found a collar (spacer) that fitted the axle and fitted in the lower fork clamps as the clamps are a removable part held in place by 2 bolts.

the speedo drive was too wide and pushed the wheel over to the right and off centre, so I got it turned down a few mm so the wheel sat dead centre in the forks.

so basically 2 spacers are held in place at the bottom of the forks by the clamps, then a spindle (axle) slides right through and held in place with a nut. 

hope that makes sense ?  im 60 so your not the only oldie round here ;)