GSXR 1100 k tuning

kev34

My 1100 slingshot is getting a little tired now so I'm looking to give it some TLC.

I'm planning either a 1277 or 1340 big bore, any pro's or cons with either.

To anyone that has done it which carbs did you find that was best for road use.

Any recommendations on engine tuners to do the job.

Cheers  Kev.

Edited by kev34
1340 not 1260 duh!!

I don't believe std 1127 'K' barrels / liners will do to those sizes - way to thin for reliability! Carbs depends on what YOU are prepared to accept or want from them - 36 cv's good powerr and drivability, 38's better power and equal drivability, RS36's better power but less drivability,RS38's even better power and maybe ultimate for road but all flatslides need to be driven correctly with set up to suit. Other carbs are an option but are more race orientated so can work on  the road but probably not recommended.

Edited by Gixer1460

As @Gixer1460 says, the bore is sizes your looking at will need new sleeves, the biggest you can go on standard sleeves is 1216cc maybe put 1246 I think? @370steve could say more on that ? 

Also if your going that big on a bore you really need to look at bigger valves to get the best out of the bore, also if your motor is tired you may need crank work as well etc etc etc.

carbs again what do you want, if your going for power/toque which I would think you are with that size of bore, flat slide carbs will give you the best power over a CV carb but you have to ride the bike with slide carbs not just hit the throttle or it will just bog down and do nothing. The bigger the carb the more top end power but less toque the smaller the carb the more toque but less top end power (do you want fun on the road or be a Dyno/rolling road hero xD

saying that xD my kat (gsx1127f motor) has CV 38mm and I love them, tryed the standard 36mm and found it lost power and torque all over the rang o.O

8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I don't believe std 1127 'K' barrels / liners will do to those sizes - way to thin for reliability! Carbs depends on what YOU are prepared to accept or want from them - 36 cv's good power and drivability, 38's better power and equal drivability, RS36's better power but less drivability,RS38's even better power and maybe ultimate for road but all flatslides need to be driven correctly with set up to suit. Other carbs are an option but are more race orientated so can work on  the road but probably not recommended.

God knows why this popped up ! ! ! Can't delete Grrrrr!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I don't believe std 1127 'K' barrels / liners will do to those sizes - way to thin for reliability! Carbs depends on what YOU are prepared to accept or want from them - 36 cv's good powerr and drivability, 38's better power and equal drivability, RS36's better power but less drivability,RS38's even better power and maybe ultimate for road but all flatslides need to be driven correctly with set up to suit. Other carbs are an option but are more race orientated so can work on  the road but probably not recommended.

Don’t Bandit barrels have thicker liners? Thought I read that somewhere.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

4 hours ago, wraith said:

As @Gixer1460 says, the bore is sizes your looking at will need new sleeves, the biggest you can go on standard sleeves is 1216cc maybe put 1246 I think? @370steve could say more on that ? 

Also if your going that big on a bore you really need to look at bigger valves to get the best out of the bore, also if your motor is tired you may need crank work as well etc etc etc.

carbs again what do you want, if your going for power/toque which I would think you are with that size of bore, flat slide carbs will give you the best power over a CV carb but you have to ride the bike with slide carbs not just hit the throttle or it will just bog down and do nothing. The bigger the carb the more top end power but less toque the smaller the carb the more toque but less top end power (do you want fun on the road or be a Dyno/rolling road hero xD

saying that xD my kat (gsx1127f motor) has CV 38mm and I love them, tryed the standard 36mm and found it lost power and torque all over the rang o.O

Going for 1260/1277/1340 I'm looking at new liners, some head work etc which I'm ok with as long as I find a good tuner to do the work.

Carb wise I have standard 36+38 and also fcr 39, but for the road I would prefer loads of torque rather than top end (which is nice to have now and then) but midrange is where I'll be 90% of the time.

13 hours ago, wraith said:

Yes, I think @370steve has a 1247 with b12 liners???

Ok, but the OP question was for a 'K' engine and sizes of 1260 or 1277, and now expanded to 1340. So alternative liners required that may fit in Suzuki casting except the 1340 kit - I think that requires aftermarket barrels which aren't too common anymore?

If the intention is 'fast road' mid range running then probably RS38's / FCR39's would be a good choice especially if the 1340 route is chosen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, clivegto said:

Have you considered 1216cc turbo, myn ride like big bore bikes low down with loads of power midrange and top end, lots better than my 1340cc motor in my opinion. 

I had a 1216 turbo a few years ago and yes your right, loads of power everywhere but I had various niggling problems when out and about which resulted in the bike coming home in the back of a van.

I'm looking for something that is, hopefully, more reliable and plenty of power:D

5 hours ago, kev34 said:

I had a 1216 turbo a few years ago and yes your right, loads of power everywhere but I had various niggling problems when out and about which resulted in the bike coming home in the back of a van.

I'm looking for something that is, hopefully, more reliable and plenty of power:D

Unlucky I suppose, I have done thousands of miles on my Turbo Scratcher over the Las 4 years with no major issues and making 230hp on the last dyno it was on. Also done 1300 miles on my Harris Turbo Magnum this summer with no issues at all, made 260hp on the dyno :DIMG_20220812_125319.thumb.jpg.41d157f03e19e020e4adafc45a7a2680.jpg IMG_20220925_123814.thumb.jpg.8470ec0eec00696601888a55f5c2b7d4.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, kev34 said:

Where about did you get the work done and may I ask how much?

I'm in Aus so price probably not relevant to you. Also had other machining work bundled in so not sure of the price breakdown per item. I bought the sleeves from APE. In short, motor has oversized valves, 40mm tmr's and yosh-2 cams. Power is 'impressive' and usable throughout the rev range