GS1000 Rebuild, Leaky Oil Pan Gasket

larry996

Guys,
I noticed that my oil pan gasket is a little wet around the edges after my rebuild of the bottom end and top end. There was a very small bead after sitting for 2 days.
Question: I used the Vesrah complete gasket kit everywhere on the rebuild and now I'm wondering if that could be it?  

I checked the torque and they are all clicking at 7 ft pounds.
Any recommendations on the next steps of what you would do?

If the torques are correct, the pan could have a slight bow in it that the previous gasket accommodated? Pan has to come off to check. If it is bowed then you can try surfacing it with fine emery on a glass sheet or just add a SMALL bead of RTV between gasket and pan to take up any irregularities. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

If the torques are correct, the pan could have a slight bow in it that the previous gasket accommodated? Pan has to come off to check. If it is bowed then you can try surfacing it with fine emery on a glass sheet or just add a SMALL bead of RTV between gasket and pan to take up any irregularities. 

Thanks!  question should I reuse the gasket?  Or install a brand new one with RTV?

2 minutes ago, larry996 said:

Thanks!  question should I reuse the gasket?  Or install a brand new one with RTV?

Some will re-use, some will re-place - no right answer! If it is still fresh ie. hasn't had any significant heating / cooling, i'd probably re-use with the RTV but if it shows a defined imprint of the case or pan it could be a marginal call for re-use!

• Like 1
On 10/7/2022 at 10:18 AM, wraith said:

+1 on the above, but the sump gaskets are not costly, so I'd get a new one and refit with some RTV.

They're not available anymore.

Oh, I couldn't find one not too long ago.

Now I see Cometic sells them, they're not cheap.

https://www.Eblag.com.au/itm/363764402652?hash=item54b20c49dc:g:x6oAAOSw5iNiMHB1&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsIWsn6CjJXx1OGI9o0S1QK%2F7dKFr4E23J76bfMw%2FqaY01wBZfY38JTZNnpDj1C8U9fOtISgWrNVXpXYdpkK9ry0RoVWjW5IlvdDcDPQj%2BvSnUXFAY%2Bx%2FcNWenjW1jYTpKd8GJuxLDv01AWwWAbvgNOSRibtlf4iMtKke40O14Ek0jA%2FvubUc4H67yfvuCJ1k3Ny0y%2BSXV3ZyboZjnNReSR7hKKzYvQO4GHkd%2FBAOrJ5U|tkp%3ABk9SR7K_1tz6YA

Edited by Reinhoud

Are you absolutely sure it's the sump gasket that's causing the problem? The last oil leak I had where oil accumulated on the sump/case join came from the neutral light switch. The oil ran down and then along the sump/case join making it look like a sump gasket problem when it wasn't.

Edited by Dezza
On 10/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Gixer1460 said:

That really is taking the piss by Cometic considering you can get a whole complete engine gasket set for just about double the price -  https://www.Eblag.com.sg/itm/115482360768?hash=item1ae348fbc0:g:0D4AAOSw6-Vi6SIr and Vertex are a good brand but not Cometic

I wonder how much a full set from Cometic would cost ? ? ? 

Vertex is good?

Nick is usually pretty expensive! But he does deals, with me at least,  then his prices are normal.

When I bought my 493 rods, he had them for sale too. I paid 149AUD at the Suzuki dealer, Nick had then priced at 150 GBP, almost twice as much.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:26 PM, wraith said:

You can get sump gaskets off eblag for under £10 posted. Ok not OEM but, I've never used a OEM gasket as they are way to much money and can't say I've have problems with aftermarket gaskets.

Some aftermarket gaskets can leak pretty easy. The valve cover of the GS gasket is a good example for that.

Ther's a company in the US who sells a pretty decent quality gaskets, see if I can find it..

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 11:08 PM, Reinhoud said:

Some aftermarket gaskets can leak pretty easy. The valve cover of the GS gasket is a good example for that.

Ther's a company in the US who sells a pretty decent quality gaskets, see if I can find it..

Reinhoud, did you ever locate that US company that makes quality gaskets?

BTW, I took my oil pan off yet again. Cleaned it up and the gasket. Remounted it with some RTV.  Damn thing is leaking again!!!

I bought an OEM and will try that with some RTV to seal it up for good hopefully

On 11/12/2022 at 1:07 AM, larry996 said:

Reinhoud, did you ever locate that US company that makes quality gaskets?

BTW, I took my oil pan off yet again. Cleaned it up and the gasket. Remounted it with some RTV.  Damn thing is leaking again!!!

I bought an OEM and will try that with some RTV to seal it up for good hopefully

https://www.Eblag.com.au/itm/174077174076

https://www.Eblag.com.au/itm/154213664881

Both seem to be ok.

I did have troubles with aftermarket valve cover gaskets in the past, after that I always bought the OEM ones, but no problems with these.

No !  Find out what's causing the leak then just use a thin smear of grease on both sides of the gasket.

Problems with using RTV,

1. If there is any RTV squished outwards when you bolt it up, you can bet a similar amount has gone inward and will shortly be floating around in the oil.

2. You are pretty much guaranteed the gasket will be u/s if you have to remove the sump again.

• Like 2

I'm not looking forward to doing this for the 3rd time. The factory seal never leaked until I rebuild the motor.

,......Should I try some high grit sandpaper and lightly sand the bottom and pan?  I don't see any imperfections in the pan nor is there any old Gasket on it.

Lastly, Could someone chime in for a 1980 GS1000G torque setting for the oil pan? Is it 7 or 9ft pounds?

Thanks

Larry

Edited by larry996
  • 4 weeks later...