Clutch conversion

RollTide

6 hours ago, RollTide said:

Hi, does anyone know if there is a hydraulic clutch conversion for gsx1100e (1981) thanks

There is a write up on here about it somewhere. I seem to remember it wasn't worthwhile according to that. Do a search for hydraulic clutch.

@Dezza has experience of this mod.

Edited by coombehouse
More
5 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

Veinhill also had. Not sure they still have it in their product range. Superb quality 

Venhill do list a conversion but its late model GSX-S 2015-2020 etc. and most of these bikes have fairly lt.wt. clutches in the first place - not Manly clutches! As they seem to do a lot with dirt bikes, I guess its a carry over just to avoid snapped cable syndrome!

4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

As they seem to do a lot with dirt bikes, I guess its a carry over just to avoid snapped cable syndrome!

a hydraulic line is much easier to route in tight spaces than a cable. Could also be a reason why more dirtbikes have it.

Anyway a new and correctly routed cable is just as light to operate as a hydraulic clutch.

Edited by Captain Chaos
friday afternoon spelling
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, RollTide said:

Hi, does anyone know if there is a hydraulic clutch conversion for gsx1100e (1981) thanks

I made the clutch of my GS1000 hydraulic.

Got myself a clutch slave from a Bandit for the measurements, you need at least a lathe, and a preferably a mill, and some imagination.

But it's not too hard to do.

See if I can find some photo's

I used the Frando conversion from Venhill on my EFE engined bike, radial mc and all. A total waste of money, it made SFA of a difference to the weight of the clutch pull. I sold it to another forum member who put it on a 750 slingshot. Soon after my hydraulic debacle, I realised I had HD springs in my clutch. I switched three to OEM, lubed the cable and lever pivot and low and behold, a nice smooth (relatively) light clutch action. 1st port of call, check your lever, perch and cable, then check the clutch springs to see if they are HD. I forgot totally it had HD springs in, and it must have been me that put them in years, even decades ago as I have owned the bike now for 35 years. Doh!O.o

• Like 1