Inverted front ends

Hey guys and gals new to the forum ,,

i have a 1980 Suzuki GS 1000 g ( shaft drive ) 

i am doing a rebuild on Andy I want to change the front forks to an upgraded INVERTED FORK 

can anyone please help me to know what newer GSXR or possibly Katana May fit my project ? 

Please reach out and help if you can 

thanks in advance 

F561CA18-B7A9-4001-B1C5-0CB1C695536C.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to OSS :D

Nice to see someone else who likes shaft drive GS (y) 

When you say inverted forks I presume you mean up side down (USD) fork.

Basically the GS g can have the same swaps as the chain drive GS and the list can be long from the slingshot gsxr to the latter gsxr1000, the main thing is how much ground clearance do you want. As @vizman says have a good look at the project section for some good info and what you like the look of.

One down side with a shafty is the rear end, putting a newer front end on with better rubber will leave the rear lacking in a equal rubber that could give you a interesting time in the bends. But there ways round this :D

And as said above, RTFR one thing that will get you in trouble is calling a gsxf a katana >:( 

• Like 1

welcome to oss,  looks like a nice original one, might be a shame to alter it, leave that one by a  gs 1000 chain driven/gsx  750/1100 et/ef/efe, and modify that, more bang for your buck if you get my meaning, never buy a gsxf, and if you do keep it under wraps:D

Edited by mark35gun

Here in North America the GSXF comes from the factory with word "Katana" on the bodywork.  For whatever reason, Suzuki thought it was appropriate in parts of the world and not others.  Official paperwork will read GSXF.  Maybe there was too much confusion with the GSXR.

To get back on subject, G bikes are not the best candidates for a fork swap. 

Are you going to run the stock front wheel? Lots of adapting for that to happen

Are you going to run the 17" modern wheel?  You geometry will be messed up. You'd have to find a 17" rear (which I'm not sure exists) and then your bike would be too low

Your best bet is to add cartridge emulators, straight rate springs and a fork brace to your existing front end. Or, upgrade to the 41mm GK fork and add the above

1 hour ago, BigT said:

To get back on subject, G bikes are not the best candidates for a fork swap. 

Are you going to run the stock front wheel? Lots of adapting for that to happen

Are you going to run the 17" modern wheel?  You geometry will be messed up. You'd have to find a 17" rear (which I'm not sure exists) and then your bike would be too low

Your best bet is to add cartridge emulators, straight rate springs and a fork brace to your existing front end. Or, upgrade to the 41mm GK fork and add the above

There is stuff out there to modify your gs1000g :D

Take mine for one 

IMG_20190222_134227.thumb.jpg.46c585566e5632cb020707fe4b264f74.jpg