Random thought - Dry Clutches?

Gammaboy

And there always the 1986 GSXR 750 Limited Edition.  Google it if you have forgotten.  But never seen a GS or GSX with dry clutch.  Go for it.   What else is there to do. lol

Ok who knows if you can get a K5/6 clutch onto the splines of an EFE, I have an idea.

And if anybody really wants to fit a dry clutch I can look at the compatibility of SRAD kit shafts and the standard EFE. Be warned though the slipper only works with kit shafts and a kit crank!

Good luck finding a complete GSXR/TL1000 Kit Slipper and all the components. Let alone the plates. Suzuki list all the parts numbers still apart from the magnesium backing plate/sunken cover, so it might be possible with a kit parts book and a deep google search.

Just out of interest - what is the supposed advantage of dry over wet?

Only asking as when I was clutch crew on Kev's FB - those motors had restricted oil supply mod for the gearbox and so the clutch got less oil also, The clutch was a slider type and I always installed the plates dry and they came out dry unless they were toasted or soaked - either resultant from a bad start. Didn't seem to wear badly either so maybe a dry clutch inside a 'wet' case is possible with a GSX - can't comment on life though - ours came out after every 1/4 mile!:D

The advantages of a dry clutch are that there is less drag from not churning through oil, better grip due to lack of oil on the plates, less oil contamination due to plate wear and it's far easier to change plates.

The downside is that they wear quicker, can be abrupt on take up and don't like drag starts.

The fact that they rattle like a bag of spanners is a + or - depending on your taste.

Conversion kits from wet to dry sometime also convert from helical to straight cut primary's for more power and least side load. The extra noise not being a consideration as they're normally a race part.

I have run one on the road on a Learnerbike for poofs RSC 996 engine with no problems as long as you remember the above.