Lock-Ups

nightrider

Its not a clutch! It is a bolt on plate with weighted arms that apply pressure to the clutch pack using centrifugal force acting on the arms. You can still pull the clutch lever although it may be a bit heavier depending on the rear wheel speed. Other than racing, big bore torque monsters, turbos or using nitrous, anything else will never need or benefit from it - if they do, then they need a new set of fibres! LOL

• Like 1

On the topic of lockups, will a lockup for a 91 Gsxr1100 fit a 93 gsxf1100 and a 02 B12? Or are there differences between models that prevent it from swapping one motor to the next? 

Obviously I'm not the Lock-up expert but as far as differences,

I know the b12 has an Aluminum basket while the gsxr1100 89-93 & the gsxf1100 / G have the steal ones.

The b12 has totally different plates then the earlier bikes.

The 88-93 gsx-f1100 was coil sprung while the gsxr1100 89+ was Diaphragm.

I think all the gsx-1100g had the same Diaphragm set up as the gsxr1100 89+

Pretty sure I'm on target but by no means is my word the law.

Obviously I'm not the Lock-up expert but as far as differences,

I know the b12 has an Aluminum basket while the gsxr1100 89-93 & the gsxf1100 / G have the steal ones.

The b12 has totally different plates then the earlier bikes.

The 88-93 gsx-f1100 was coil sprung while the gsxr1100 89+ was Diaphragm.

I think all the gsx-1100g had the same Diaphragm set up as the gsxr1100 89+

Pretty sure I'm on target but by no means is my word the law.

All the Oil boiler locks ups are the same unit.....BUT they use "need" an adaptor to fit on Diaphragm clutch.....

Personally I would do a coil spring conversion on a diaphragm clutch if I was going to fit a lock up......

Converting a GSXR diaphram clutch to a 4 spring is absolutely fucking pointless. Never had an issue with the diaphram clutches on any of our bikes and some of them were using lockups. Not to mention the earlier gsxr inner hubs are softer and are more prone to wearing grooves in them from the steel plates

Bandit clutches just replace all the 1.5mm steel plates for 2mm gsxr steel plates. Job done

Edited by McLean Racing

For probably 80% of users a vanilla flavour 2 stage will be plenty - only for drag racing where a total excess of power is the norm and infinite clutch control is everything will benefit from the sophisticated multi tunable set-ups. My big power road bike only needs a simple lock up on the road.

• Like 1