What gauge wiring?

Jonny

I'd start with getting your hands on the wiring diagram thats needed. It's not a case of one size/gauge wire does all. Too big a wire won't channel small amps efficiently and too small a gauge with big amps overheats and burns out. Look at the fuse box in the diagram  and break down the wiring in to individual circuits. The fuse amps indicates you what gauge wire you need for a particular circuit. Just write down the wire colour and it's gauge as you go along with how much you think you need (plus a little extra).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Ain't particularly cheap!

I generally use ' Vehicle Wiring Products', 'PoleVolt', 'Kojaycat' or 'Planet Auto' - all of them know their stuff & don't talk bollux!

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Ain't particularly cheap!

I generally use ' Vehicle Wiring Products', 'PoleVolt', 'Kojaycat' or 'Planet Auto' - all of them know their stuff & don't talk bollux!

I've used Vehicle Wiring Products and Kojaycat in the past. Can't go wrong with either as both offer an excellent service. I finds Kojaycat very useful as they have a lot of stock block connectors for Jap bikes so no having to change the connections on switches and other ancillaries.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing some rewiring on my GS/GSX project bike. There seems to be a range of wiring thickness/amp variations.

I was think going for a 1mm 16.5amp thin wall cable for most of the lights and clock electrics.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks,

Jon

Yes, that's ok for most of the wiring. I used it for my bike in 2000-ish, no problems yet, with some of the heavier stuff (1.5mm or 2mm I can't remember...) where it's obvious a heavier wire is in the loom.

16.5A at 12V gives you a maximum rating (in free air, not loomed etc) of 198 Watts, so apart from the main alternator wiring, and the odd bit of power distribution, you're well under that. However the 12V live feeds I did in the heavier wire, as in the original loom.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I'd start with getting your hands on the wiring diagram thats needed. It's not a case of one size/gauge wire does all. Too big a wire won't channel small amps efficiently and too small a gauge with big amps overheats and burns out. Look at the fuse box in the diagram  and break down the wiring in to individual circuits. The fuse amps indicates you what gauge wire you need for a particular circuit. Just write down the wire colour and it's gauge as you go along with how much you think you need (plus a little extra).

Thanks Jaydee.

I hear what you say but the wiring diagrams I have don't list the spec of the cable. I just have the Haynes ones. The only fuse I have on the bike is the main one, there no fuse box - the loom is the original 78 one. 

16 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I hear what you say but the wiring diagrams I have don't list the spec of the cable. I just have the Haynes ones. The only fuse I have on the bike is the main one, there no fuse box - the loom is the original 78 one. 

You shouldn't need to have a spec list of the cable in the diagram. Look at the fuse rating for that circuit, this will tell you what gauge wire is needed to be used. ;)

Just reread and noticed you stated you have no fusebox. Have a look at a few wiring diagrams from other Suzuki models in GS, GSX ect, . They are all pretty much the same amp rating in their circuits, i.e. 30 amp starters circuits. Even the wiring colours in certain applications can be the same between different models over years with Suzukis. 

Edited by Jaydee
3 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Have a look at a few wiring diagrams from other Suzuki models in GS, GSX ect, . They are all pretty much the same amp rating in their circuits, i.e. 30 amp starters circuits. Even the wiring colours in certain applications can be the same between different models over years with Suzukis. 

Yes that makes sense. I have noticed common wiring colours over a number of Suzukis I have owened.

Cheers!

Jonny.

General rule of thumb for wire sizes is 1mm2 / 10A. So 1mm2 wire is good up to 10A continuous load and so on. From electrical standpoint there there isn't any problem if you use too heavy wire for actual load but it will make wire bundles thick and stiff pretty quickly. So it's a good idea to use some sense with wire selection.

If thinking about typical OSS bike I would use roughly following sizing:

• +12V and GND from charging regulator, main feed from battery to fuses: 2.5 - 4 mm2
  • headlight, ignition coils, generator wires to regulator: 1 - 1.5 mm2
  • turn signals, tail light, other misc stuff: 0.5 - 0.75 mm2
  • Like 1