found in a shed..............

When i was in the Navy i was stationed in portland dockyard with a mate, back in the early 90's we were messing about with bikes, he had this and it was quite tidy , he got married and stuck this away for a few years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragged it out of the old shed out the back yesterday and, stupidly I  volunteered to get it going!!!

what a little beauty:tu

CBzrIgI.jpg

wBgrq3B.jpg

tM0YEuO.jpg

• Like 9

Oil light switch is under the carbs/behind the barrels, it's a rectangle plate held in by 2, 6mm bolts, the oil switch itself is the big 19mm but thing sat in the centre of the plate with 1 wire coming off it ;)

You can just remove the 19mm bolt/switch you don't need to remove the plate (y)

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
48 minutes ago, wraith said:

Oil light switch is under the carbs/behind the barrels, it's a rectangle plate held in by 2, 6mm bolts, the oil switch itself is the big 19mm but thing sat in the centre of the plate with 1 wire coming off it ;)

You can just remove the 19mm bolt/switch you don't need to remove the plate (y)

merci beaucoup shipmate:tu

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dorkburger said:

That’s about what my carbs looked like when I bought my 1150. It had stood for 12 years. After a day plus soak they cleaned up well. I replaced the rubber plugs. Years later I replaced ALL of the rubber parts I didn’t know I needed to replace back in 1999  

Is that a 550 Katana?

it is indeed a 550..:tu

what did you soak them in, ;)

31 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Try lemon juice. Vinegar also works well, as does brake fluid. I've heard boiling them in a pan of water works well.

I like squirting carb cleaner through all the passageways, followed by compressed air.

Ultrasonic cleaning works well, isn't there someone on the forum who does it?

Don't forget the choke passage in the float bowl if it has one.

You can get those bungs on Eblag, don't buy a full rebuild kit unless you need the parts. I know a guy that does an o ring kit if you need it. You sometimes find the o ring on the float valve seat has perished, meaning you never get rid of flooding float bowls, so best to change them.

2 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

I used a product called Gunk Hydro Seal - pretty nasty stuff. It even took the paint off of the carb bodies. I  just looked it up and  see now they are up to Hydro Seal 2. Not sure if its the same. As noted, I did mine way back in '99. 

Guest YoshiJohnny

send the carbs to me and stop fucking about.....lol

I have a fizzy bath big enough for you to sail on... horrid things go in and shiny things come out

Edited by YoshiJohnny
59 minutes ago, Dorkburger said:

I used a product called Gunk Hydro Seal - pretty nasty stuff. It even took the paint off of the carb bodies. I  just looked it up and  see now they are up to Hydro Seal 2. Not sure if its the same. As noted, I did mine way back in '99. 

Probably a shit watered down version, like nitromors, due to 'elf N safety

• Like 1
Guest YoshiJohnny
2 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

are you still doing them, I thought you sold your bath???;)

ill stick them in the post then:tu:tu

nah bath still here.... and me lathe....