WHAT 1100 ENGINE

11 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Clutches only changed slightly with the introduction of the 1150EF engine. Clutch plates across the whole range remain basically the same. 

Not exactly true. There are 9 and 10 friction plate versions of the clutch. And plates on the 10 plate version are thinner. It's still slightly unclear for me which engines have been using which version. I know that my '83 1100E had that 10 plate version originally and these plate sets are usually sold as "Katana" plates. Older E engines and all EF/EFE engines seem to have the 9 plate version. Maybe. Go figure...

However, these plate sets are interchangeable so you should be able to use both of them on any clutch basket. Naturally with correct amount of steel plates.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14-6-2017 at 6:35 AM, Arttu said:

Not exactly true. There are 9 and 10 friction plate versions of the clutch. And plates on the 10 plate version are thinner. It's still slightly unclear for me which engines have been using which version. I know that my '83 1100E had that 10 plate version originally and these plate sets are usually sold as "Katana" plates. Older E engines and all EF/EFE engines seem to have the 9 plate version. Maybe. Go figure...

However, these plate sets are interchangeable so you should be able to use both of them on any clutch basket. Naturally with correct amount of steel plates.

Quite right. It seems only the '83 GSX1100 engines had the different stack of clutch plates.

Micro fiches:

1981 GSX1100EX

21441-49200
    PLATE, DRIVE (friction)
    21451-49200
    PLATE, DRIVEN (plain)

1983 GSX1100ESD

21441-49210
    PLATE, DRIVE (friction)
    21451-49200
    PLATE, DRIVEN (plain)

Haynes:

friction plate thickness
all modells exept SD, ESD    2.9 - 3.1 mm
SD, ESD                              2.15 - 2.35 mm

plain plate thicknessall models  2.00 mm

its perhaps also worth mentioning that the strange world that exists on the other side of the atlantic has a bit of confusion at to exactly what a katana is, so chek that when they say katana they arent talking about some strange oil cooled teapot.

• Like 1