Hello, guys!

Found some problems with ignition on my GSX1100 and took off the coils to test.

Got next numbers (please see photos)

P1010838.thumb.JPG.2bb469dac94c61ca5345417cadbe7f12.JPGP1010842.thumb.JPG.24254f0cd738f4ae0df6c6b6d56505de.JPG

According to manual, kindly provided by agemax, the numbers are to be:

manual.jpg.625cf61713ffef7f246a4c654ade1f1d.jpg

Now 2 main newcomer's questions:

1. Did I proceed the test in the right way?

2. If I need to change the coils is it possible to replace them with other model ones (except DYNA)?

Thanx, please don't kick too much)))))

• Like 1

They ain't like any GSXR coils that i've ever seen? Numbers ain't the worst - what about across the LT terminals? They do look fairly ancient / rough round the edges? Maybe blasphemy but get some  h o n d a  coils - direct replacement and NEVER fail, just change the plug caps to suit.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Almaty_kz said:

1. Did I proceed the test in the right way?

2. If I need to change the coils is it possible to replace them with other model ones (except DYNA)?

@1. Yes

@2. Of course.. Plenty of coils from other bikes with similar spec.. But these look like regular '80-'84 GSX750/1100 coils to me..

I think the measured resistance as such might just be fine as -looking at the pics- the stock caps have been swapped for NGK resistor plug caps.. It seems these NGK replacements for the OE caps have a lower resistance..!

BUT the problem with faulty stock coils often only appears in hot conditions (and it can get pretty hot in between the engine and the tank!).. Heat makes broken contacts open up as parts of the coil expand.. To really test your coils you need to recreate the conditions on the (hot) bike, so warm up those coils and measure again..!

• Like 1

If you have to change the coils the ones used on many Kawasakis from the late 80s on are good. Unlike some Suzuki coils, the leads are easily replaceable and you can even use Taylor or Dyna leads with them. I use some from a ZZR1100 and they work fine on an efe engine.

• Like 1