EFE outrigger

Rene EFE

Ive made a few of these. What I did was to lay the original sprocket cover over the alloy plate (with a sheet of paper stuck to it)and then dropped long bolt's (with a bit of dirt on the end's :)) thru the original's cover to get my bolt hole pattern correct. Once done it was basically just drill the new hole's for mounting and cut the alloy out on the bandsaw . I' then make thing's pretty by sticking it in the milling machine. The last bit is not really needed though. I did on one of the cover's then machine a bearing holder and spacer piece that connected up with the round outside lip on an offset sprocket. 

Id need to have a search on my photof*ckit account to try to find some pic's. That may take some time!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

The pic's are not the best, but they are the only one's I could find. I used an offset sprocket with a lip on the outside face. I machined a spacer type of thing that sat inside the lip with the other end machined to fit inside a bearing that was mounted on a machined part that bolted to the outer sprocket cover.  The outer cover was a bit ugly, but it was made on an old wobbly mill. I need a new motor for my newer bigger and better milling machine,once thats sorted I could make something much nicer now.

100_0878-2.jpg

100_0879-1-2.jpg

100_0877-1-1.jpg

100_0880-1-2.jpg

100_0882.jpg

• 5 months later...

Ok this is old topic but dont want to make a new. Have anyone modified stock cover to outrigger? I want stockish look but definately need supoort bearing. I have an idea how to do that but it would be nice to hear your opinions or even see some pics.

11 hours ago, homer said:

Ok this is old topic but dont want to make a new. Have anyone modified stock cover to outrigger? I want stockish look but definately need supoort bearing. I have an idea how to do that but it would be nice to hear your opinions or even see some pics.

There's been a chromed version on Eblag for ages, i'll see if i can find the picture.

13 hours ago, homer said:

Yes I did, the oem sprocket cover was machined to take a slab of ali then that was machined to run a bearing and Chris Hannam supplied a one off cup sprocket to suit. Dont think I've got any photo's of it though, at the time I worked with a guy who was a great machinist and he was into bikes too so it for him it was easy.

Edited by kja.busa
  • Like 1

1980-1983 GS1100 TIG WELDED COUNTER SHAFT SUPPORT KIT THAT BOLTS RIGHT ON, WELDED ON THE INSIDE AND ON THE OUTSIDE, THEN FILLED WITH EPOXY FOR EXTRA SUPPORT.

Only posted so you get the idea but it is very easy to do, but probably better to weld more internal webbing to strengthen up bearing support, but if i did it i'd keep outer face uncut and keep all work on inside, but on one shown if it was mine i'd of milled down the external sticking out piece.

s-l1600 (8).jpg

• Like 1