Spondon Turbo winter refresh and makeover

MeanBean49

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Madb said:

well done!! should have been a gold tho! awesome...

That was also the opinion of most people their and  3/7 judges who didnt even rank the ruined sportsbike that won at all. How a customised sportsbike is considered a custom performance bike at all I dont know.

Never mind, thats bike shows for you. Im proud to have gotten anything, given that mines not built for shows, in a couple of weeks It will be doing its thing round Donington :-) 

• Like 3

Had it on the dyno, pleased with the results, 25bhp up on the old engine, made 280bhp at about 15psi. Couldnt get anymore as dump valve couldnt hold shut. Stronger spring and a good check over and im ready for playing.

Pretty certain its making over 300bhp, i ususlly use another dyno where we can move the fans to go through the intercooler and it makes a difference of over 20bhp. Only made 258 on dyno it was on yesterday so its better.

Feels faster on the road too

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Donington didnt go quite as expected.

Did a session at low boost, all went really well, bike was really quick,

Made the bloke on a Desmosedici RR who attempted to race me down the straight look like he was on a moped :-)

Pulling in to the pits motor stopped and didnt want to start. Couple of minutes later was ok again. Went out next session, power was down and developed a knocking noise. Pulled in and as was heading back oil light was flickering.

Decided to leave it alone. Used my cafe racer and had a play on zxr rest of weekend.

Pulled motor out and partially to bits yesterday. Picked up a crank bearing, got really hot, over heated number 2+3 con rod bearings and they have turned to glitter and plasticine. Crank dead, busa rods dead, possibly cases dead.

Another busy week putting old faithful back in ready for Pendine this weekend.

Gutted it broke but also glad it did it now instead of after driving all the way to Pendine.

Fingers crossed I get it all done in time

13 minutes ago, Solcambs said:

Start stripping and rebuilding ... stop posting to the internet ;) Gutted to hear it died at Donington - but great that you have a spare for Pendine!

12 minutes ago, Fugly said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your time chatting with me on Sunday, especially after your motor died.

Good luck in getting it rebuilt and up and running for Pendine

At work at the mo, hence internet time haha.

Other motor is already in the frame, just needs rest of it bolting back on, be running by tomorrow eve.

Fugly, no probs mate, always happy to chat. At least I had other options to ride and still really enjoyed myself, old zxr proved its still a pretty quick old bus and I can still ride a bit

• Like 2