what is the cottect colour combo of orginal katanas

I have done my tail in silver as when I was gazing at them lovingly at the dealers way back when I was a teenager, I vowed that if I ever got one I would colour match the tail. As to my mind it looked odd being black.

So now its done.

• Like 2

original ones were 13l silver with a blue textured tailpiece and a grey/blue suede effect vinyl seat, silver frame, snowflake pattern wheels and black stands, silver front mudguard with satin black rear section and headlight surround on fairing satin black too. silver engine. 750 sz's had silver tailpieces, psilver annodized swingarm, black chainguard. post 82 sz and sd models had smooth non textured tailpieces. the 13l code wont mean anything to most paint dealers now though, best to get a piece colour matched from some original paint. though im told that there is a nissan silver car paint thats an almost spot on match.

Edited by johnr

I've got the 13L nailed and the paint is now onĀ the bike.Ā Not a problem for me as paint is what I do for a living. I can mix most classic bike colours so if anyone wants a paint mix recipe just ask.Ā However I have to now do headlight surround satin black.

Viking Vinyl's have the suede effect textile in correct 82' colours of blue and silver/grey and do a lot of Kats for a guy who restores them. As for the swingarm that's a polished JMC item and what chain guard, but I have got an alloy one from a bandit I believe, that will get modded to fit.

Thanks for the scheme guidance Johnr.

Edited by Swampy
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

This is mine it was originally silver but I had it redoneĀ  in 1985 in this colour scheme, it was based onĀ  a picture of an SD model in the US seen in Bike magazine.

Ā 

It is basically a reversal of the standard SD colours .Ā  never sure whether it was a standard US scheme (probably not) Ā 

001.JPG

• Like 1