gsx cams in gs1000?

wraith

16 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

As i see it you'd have to use 2 spacers. 1 for the difference in basket depth, then 2nd one for the lockup itself. Both can be had from SPS.

Or 1 big one that would have to be specifically made!

Is there any benefit in this or just use a lockup with the gs clutch basket

I'd say just use a lockup, problem is getting the parts.

SPS reckon the GSX extended rack will work in a GS (I'm sceptical) & also he hasn't got any spacers but will get more made as soon as he gets another order.

Either way the full kit is £494, individually the spacer is £180 & rack is £126

Edited by CockneyRick
3 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Surely if you're taking meat off the clutch basket, in effect you're turning it into a GS1000 basket & defeating the point? 

That's why SPS has produced that (7mm?) spacer plate so you keep the extra plates in the GSX clutch, & also explains why the rack is longer on std & lockup versions ;) 

That doesn't fit, the clutch basket goes behind the crankcase, the GSX basket will not fit in the GS1000 crankcase unless there's 7mm taken off

koppeling.jpg

Edited by Reinhoud
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

That doesn't fit, the clutch basket goes behind the crankcase, the GSX basket will not fit in the GS1000 crankcase unless there's 7mm taken off

koppeling.jpg

Ah right, i didn't know that, i assumed it was about the basket height against the cover. never occured to me it was the case in the way ;) 

4 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Surely if you're taking meat off the clutch basket, in effect you're turning it into a GS1000 basket & defeating the point? 

That's why SPS has produced that (7mm?) spacer plate so you keep the extra plates in the GSX clutch, & also explains why the rack is longer on std & lockup versions ;) 

The GSX basket is much stronger than the GS one ...and if you mod the inner hub you can get all the plates in

the old V&H clutch kits used to get an extra plate in both clutches.....i,ll let you see if you can work out that one out for yourselves  :/

Suzuki even did it on one of the 16v motors as well 9_9

...... the gs / gsx baskets in stock form are junk ..... cast aluminum junk .....the stock clutch hub nut is also an issue  .....the basket develops a  rattle over time even with the beefed up springs and rivet kit .....eventually will even explode  when slightly abused . the attached image is a stock basket with the modified back plate / straight cut gear... 1230cc  ..... exploded during a 5 gear burnout . too bad the efe was not equiped with a steel basket gsxr type way back then ..... bullet proof .

942E13A0-02C4-4E7E-9F06-0A90C21D114A.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

koppeling.jpg

I agree :tu

Looking at the spacer on the net i think you need to trim the cases "see my original post on page one" 

Its all down to how much effort you want to put into doing it or having a go as It took me less than 15 min to suss out how to do it including find the bit,s in the garage 

Seams like most things folk want a little effort bolt on solution ...

Edited by Duckndive
spelling
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

I'd say just use a lockup, problem is getting the parts.

SPS reckon the GSX extended rack will work in a GS (I'm sceptical) & also he hasn't got any spacers but will get more made as soon as he gets another order.

Either way the full kit is £494, individually the spacer is £180 & rack is £126

Use a lock up from a GSX, SPS has them.

18 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Seams like most things folk want a little effort bolt on solution ...

Im personally trying to find the best solution, I'm not going to say on a limited budget, but not a infinite amount of cash, sharing information and experiences would be something I thought this forum was about, no one is trying to find the last few hp to beat there racing rival, just pick others brains who have done it before, that's my view on it.

OSS is about sharing information, luckily there are some talented mad experimentalists out there who share their findings on here...

ask not what OSS can do for you but what you can do for OSS.

and I think you’ll find that those chasing the extra few bhp to beat their rivals are usually the ones doing the hard work, experimenting...the mothers of invention.

• Like 1
On 4/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, CockneyRick said:

IEither way the full kit is £494, individually the spacer is £180 & rack is £126

ask rupperton for a price on spacer 

Gary May "the gen" has extended racks for £50 on faceache 

i dont have a gs cover otherwise i would try a gsx rack in it "but i don't see it being different it was a very common item across the ranges at the time"

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

ask rupperton for a price on spacer 

Gary May "the gen" has extended racks for £50 on faceache 

i dont have a gs cover otherwise i would try a gsx rack in it "but i don't see it being different it was a very common item across the ranges at the time"

Already have, Roger, SPS, Grumpy & Sam baker haven't got any. Now trying Gary (Gen) & he'll get back to me ;) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CockneyRick said:

I'm led to believe GS & GSX are the same, but both in pic were meant to be GS?

Well aside from thou steels being slightly larger O/Dia but the same inner i doubt suzuki reinvented the wheel when it came to the bolt spacings on the hub as the pressure plate for both has the same part no  PRESSURE DISC (21462-49201)

25 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Well aside from thou steels being slightly larger O/Dia but the same inner i doubt suzuki reinvented the wheel when it came to the bolt spacings on the hub as the pressure plate for both has the same part no  PRESSURE DISC (21462-49201)

I assumed cos one has the stepped mounts, that the pressure discs might be different. So in that case, not sure what the LH one is for?