GS1000 engine GSXR frame

39 minutes ago, Dave68 said:

I assume there would be plenty of room using a 1100 slabby or L-M; not sure. I will check out @Havoc

You assume incorrectly.

I recal that Tom had to cut and extend the chassis loop. Gs motor is longer than gsxr motor .

• Like 1

seems a pretty pointless excercise if you ask me. 

gsxr motor is lighter and faster, why stick an old boat anchor in there?, apart from the "because i can " and because its different...

hell, maybe im getting old....

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 8
50 minutes ago, baldrick said:

gsxr motor is lighter and faster, why stick an old boat anchor in there?, apart from the "because i can " and because its different...

yeah ive got to agree !! sorry :S but i do appreciate the engineering involved in fitting one, and its something different from the norm :tu  

4 hours ago, baldrick said:

Dan Hegarty built a beautiful GS1000 motor for a customer and had best part of 3 motors left over. 

..'... Tom, you're into Suzukis, got these GS1000 engines, want them?...'...

...'.... I'd love them Dan, but I'm skint at the moment...'...

...'... don't worry man, pay me when I get back from the Macau GP...'..

...'.. Cool, thanks Dan...'...

He never came home from Macau :( He also raced a Slabby at the Manx a few years earlier. This build is a tribute to a very good friend. RIP Dan

90270895_10159652757702571_6098562679364911104_n.thumb.jpg.79f845cf6f942a5708aef2ffeeae132e.jpg      13900235_10155104011867571_8059204455650197967_n.thumb.jpg.a6df70de026e4be1f4e91ea188571975.jpg

So now you know why :pimp:

• Like 15
6 hours ago, baldrick said:

I am 56 and didn't think It was a bad idea. It just happens that a friend of mine wants to buy all my GS parts, So It isn't happening now, I should be the proud owner for a little while of a 2020 Katana. Thanks for everybody's input

Dave

• Like 1

The easiest way for me to get shot of the GS parts, It wasn't bought as a keeper. My mate wants to sell it and he loves GS1000's, everybody wins, can't see a problem with the deal myself, He knocked me £500 off also, I have known him for 39 years, he is one of life's good guys.

Lol, there's OSS and there's an easy life. I picked the expensive difficult way. OSS forever. Caveat, I also have a few non OSS bikes, 42 in total :pimp: Rode one of the new Kats, it did everything well like the 1000S it's based on. Love bikes, all bikes..

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Havoc said:

Lol, there's OSS and there's an easy life. I picked the expensive difficult way. OSS forever. Caveat, I also have a few non OSS bikes, 42 in total :pimp: Rode one of the new Kats, it did everything well like the 1000S it's based on. Love bikes, all bikes..

How true! I had spinal surgery 14 years ago and it knackered me for the rest of my life, I can't lift anything more than 15kgs, and it affects me in most things every day, I wish I weren't like this. At least I can walk, I couldn't when I went into Newcastle General. What a fantastic Hospital and excellent staff. A massive thank you to them all, especially the Neurosurgeons.

• Like 2

The last big aircooled Suzuki F1 racers (1983) had engines based on the GS1000 in alloy frames that externally resembled the frames of the slabbies when they later went into mass production. A GS1000 powered slabby-framed race-replica like havoc's has the potential to come close to what IMO is one of the coolest looking big-bruiser race machines of the 80s (raced in UK by Mick Grant and Rob McElnea) :). That seems enough justifcation for doing so to me, without adding in that the characteristics of a big aircooled engine being totally addicitive and nothing like even a large capacity oil-cooled machine. They still seem a big revvy to me O.o. Is it finished yet?

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Dezza said:

Is it finished yet?

No, had issues with the rear suspension knuckle but sorted now. Will get back on it. As a general comment I considered that I was upgrading the running gear of a GS1000 (GS1080) rather than down grading the motor of a Slabby  B|

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Havoc said:

No, had issues with the rear suspension knuckle but sorted now. Will get back on it. As a general comment I considered that I was upgrading the running gear of a GS1000 (GS1080) rather than down grading the motor of a Slabby  B|

That was going to be my plan, Not bothered about loads of power, It would be cool, All the best with it the build Havoc.

On 8/31/2024 at 10:03 AM, Dezza said:

The last big aircooled Suzuki F1 racers (1983) had engines based on the GS1000 in alloy frames that externally resembled the frames of the slabbies when they later went into mass production. A GS1000 powered slabby-framed race-replica like havoc's has the potential to come close to what IMO is one of the coolest looking big-bruiser race machines of the 80s (raced in UK by Mick Grant and Rob McElnea) :). That seems enough justifcation for doing so to me, without adding in that the characteristics of a big aircooled engine being totally addicitive and nothing like even a large capacity oil-cooled machine. They still seem a big revvy to me O.o. Is it finished yet?

Xr41…

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2440.jpeg

IMG_2441.jpeg

• Like 10