EFI

Hi, I am planning to build an ET oil cooled turbo. I have a 1200 bandit motor that's getting busa slugs. I have no carbs at the moment so it got me thinking should I forget carbs and go EFI straight off. I have a set of gsx 14 throttle bodies, could I use these ?  how much would I expect to  spend going this route over carbs. Thanks

It's a decent chunk of change. You'll need the throttle bodies, injectors, software (Megasquirt or similar), sensors to make that work, wiring, fab work. F.I. conversions are usually money and time sucking endeavors. That said, I don't know if there is an aftermarket for the B12 engine that would ease things a bit. I know the conversion has been done on B12's before.

Most people use early 2000's gsxr600 throttle bodies because they are 38mm and fit the carb boots on our engines. Then remove the secondary butterflies and make a 10mm (I think it was 10mm) spacer for between the two pairs of throttle bodies to match the carb spacing of our oil cooled engines. A lot of the builds I've read have people using microsquirt.

People that find amazing deals or get stuff for free and have already done efi conversions seem to be able to do the swap for $500-700 usd. I've got around $700 into it now and I think I've got everything I need but I haven't tried running it yet either. This is my first time using microsquirt.

I guess you have already checked the pinned EFI thread in this section?

I guess you can use the GSX1400 TBs but probably they aren't the best choice. If I recall correctly the spacing isn't correct for older oil boilers and they are slightly on small side at 34mm. Though size isn't that critical on turbo engine unless you are trying squeeze every possible hp out. I can also recommend those early (2001-2003) GSX-R600 throttle bodies but there are many other possible choices too.

For budget I would say that about 1000 euros is quite good rule of thumb for realistic minimum for injection and ignition control. This is perfectly doable but requires some attention for parts selection and sourcing. You can make it cheaper but that will require some patience or luck in sourcing and choices will get limited. Naturally there isn't upper limit if you want something fancy and special. Some of the parts included to this sum are required also for carb turbo build so actual cost difference will be somewhat smaller. 

Edited by Arttu
  • 3 weeks later...

KMS is a good system, but not quite as catered for as MS. MS is open source too, so if youre that way inclined you can mod the software and add/remove as many options as you want. 

Firstly, do you want to go fuel only or fuel and ignition?

Set of K2 600 TB's are gonna be your best bet IMO. Easily respaced to fit a proper engine and then deciding what fuel pump to use is the next hardest descision! Ive opted to weld the bottom of a K4 tank into my slingshot tank as it looks cleaner to my eye that running an external inline pump and means I dont have to run a pressure regualtor as its built into the pump. 

Triggerwheels.com do a 50(ish)mm 36-1 wheel that'll fit a B12 Engine and retain the standard VR sensor

MK4 Astra MAP sensor

VAG Ignition Amplifier and a set of K4 (ish) Denso stick coils

Im using a Sierra Cosworth air temp sensor because it was kicking about, but any other is just as easy to use, It'll be fitted in the air stream of either pot 2 or 3 through one of the holes that the secondaires used to live in and an engine temp sensor of some description. Wire it all up (Microsquirt comes with a labelled up loom so you just need to shorten and terminate as req) plug the computer in and youre away!

Ive got myself an Innovate LC2 Wideband controller too as it'll make mapping and keeping the AFR in check a lot easier, but if you dont map it yourself your mapper will have one that'll stick into the end of the exhaust

• Like 1

@davecara do you have any pictures of using the bottom of a k4 tank on your tank? I've been trying to figure out which way to go with the fuel pump and regulator for my bike and I really like the idea of an in-tank pump but have been wondering if it's better to go external for turbo use. Or if I should just run a different regulator when it's turbo time and continue to use an in tank pump.

I dont think tr standard intank pump would keep up with the demands of a forced induction system so youll be forced to go external with a bosch044 or similar also a rising rate pressure regulator. 

Ill gladly be proved wrong though! Ive got a thread going on here for my moneypit so I'll get that updated with pics to save cluttering this thread up

• 1 month later...