Air cooled injection.

Decided to start looking at air cooled injection conversions. Throttle bodies being the first bit, so time to mock up a knackered carb body as a throttle body.

I'll change the start position for the injector bore to a more central spot. That'll allow the diaphragm cover to be used as a cap and the rail sitting on top.

20240529_093557.thumb.jpg.89301ff99b1de9aaafe36eaa9e21d9f7.jpg20240529_093650.thumb.jpg.1e7e7ccc6309329cdb5c10d3fa3a3c5f.jpg

I'm going this route as it keeps the 'correct' set up for throttle bodies. For the stock look I'll take the start of the injector bore into the centre. That'll sit it beneath the diaphragm cap, and I can then sit the rail above the carbs out of sight with a feed pipe dropping to each injector. That allows the rail to be in available space rather than creating space to site the rail. After the style of mechanical injection with inline or DPA pumps.

• Like 3

Many ways of doing it, I'm aiming for it not being noticeable. 

I've set the plug lower in the slide bore and centralised. So the cap will sit on and I can route the wires and pipe through the inboard side of the carb body out of sight. 20240529_102656.thumb.jpg.fb1b856bbf65dc77c05505660263c5db.jpg20240529_102649.thumb.jpg.bc4644d4aa944c12be3b10163d57c775.jpg

43 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

InjectorHolder1.thumb.jpg.3d850a033c85ed49b65c732e9f01fca8.jpg

That's Nice, very nice! Must be easy having zillions of Lectron carbs cluttering up the workshop ready for cannibalization :pimp:

33 minutes ago, imago said:

Many ways of doing it, I'm aiming for it not being noticeable. 

I've set the plug lower in the slide bore and centralised. So the cap will sit on and I can route the wires and pipe through the inboard side of the carb body out of sight.

20240529_102656.thumb.jpg.fb1b856bbf65dc77c05505660263c5db.jpg20240529_102649.thumb.jpg.bc4644d4aa944c12be3b10163d57c775.jpg

Interesting, but seems a lot of aggro for not much benefit? Surprised if you can get a rail and injector fuel connection inside cap! The spray pattern is going to suffer I think? But I'll keep watching :tu

12 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

That's Nice, very nice! Must be easy having zillions of Lectron carbs cluttering up the workshop ready for cannibalization :pimp:

Interesting, but seems a lot of aggro for not much benefit? Surprised if you can get a rail and injector fuel connection inside cap! The spray pattern is going to suffer I think? But I'll keep watching :tu

The spray pattern should be OK I think as the MK2 plug replicates the position and angle of the TB's.

In terms of aggro and benefit you're quite right for purely fitting injection, but this is about fitting injection which looks just like the original with everything non-carb tucked out of sight. The connections look to be OK at this stage as I need to drop the injector through a touch more so that the nozzle is bang on where it would be in the bodies. I can then take the pipe and two small wires through the inboard side of the carb body to the injector. I think that the pipe would be easiest achieved by having a connector mounted in the body so that I can have a compression fitting inside and outside to help with the pipe run. It also means I can use a solid pipe inside the body to the injector.

As you say, a lot of messing about and fabrication, but the end result will be something a little different. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

I'm liking the look of this. Yeah, there's a bit of work involved but I think it'll be pretty neat when finished. Worth a go. Good on ya!

It's not something that will be done often as it's purely a cosmetic thing and offers no advantage beyond that. I think for the right project it'd be worth doing though. I'm thinking a 'sleeper' where the engine is worked to within an inch of its existance to get everything out of it but looks stock. Stock air box and dummy carbs keep that looking right. In theory it should be possible to take a 16v into the 160 - 180 hp range but have it look like it's still the 100 if you're lucky set up.

I guess you'd need to stick with normal looking forks with Maxton internals, spoked wheels with 17" rims for sticky tyres to keep the sleeper thing going.

22 minutes ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

You can use a lot of bodies to do it I guess. I'd say the main restriction on choice would be that the only reason to do it would be to make it look original. So other than CV's on a GS/GSX then I'd think a set of flat slide bodies on a race bike would look cool. 

Regarding the butterflies, if the injector is sited as far towards the head side as you can then you can drill through the blind holes behind and fit the shaft and butterflies before the injector. Green arrow is the injector angle/placement, blue is the blind hole.

445203510_959886932808893_9052899625691917824_n.thumb.jpg.f301ef2e6a7c912976770ce9f0034f5a.jpg445736057_959886089475644_7375444866459433015_n.thumb.jpg.38a384eb79cd3f8059ba812824c30d5e.jpg

Unfortunately not. There's room for the nozzle but there isn't enough room above to angle the body of the injector.

Fortunately it's not too much drama (although a fair bit of work) to move the butterflies and shaft as the blind holes and fuel supply ports are all aligned and just the right size to drill out and bush. They'll be identical to the original that way, just further back. Internally it works as the main jet bore etc will have to be blanked anyway.

It's definitely not something worth doing just to fit injection, but worth the massive arse ache to keep it stock and have a stealth/sleeper upgrade.

Starting this was just a bit of research ahead of time really. I'll have the G up and running not too long after the move, then the first air cooled injection I get running will be very much following your example. Once that lot is done I can fit this in with some other work as a bit here and a bit there project. :tu

22 hours ago, Poldark said:

Could the injector be fitted to the intake boot?

Not enough room and it needs something solid to mount into. Plus it'd just be throttle bodies with carbs behind then.

It's one of those things where you either accept it's a lot of work, or you just fit TBs and have done with it. Doing it this way would only rarely be worth it, but it's an interesting thing to fiddle with between stuff. :tu

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 7:35 AM, imago said:

You can use a lot of bodies to do it I guess. I'd say the main restriction on choice would be that the only reason to do it would be to make it look original. So other than CV's on a GS/GSX then I'd think a set of flat slide bodies on a race bike would look cool. 

something like this would be cool

328888879_911621073483755_4436447383445369342_n.jpg

Edited by clairetoo
  • Like 1