inazuma1200/gsxr/bandit parts interchangeability/ frame , switchgear, complete exhaustsystems?

Hello Folks wanne do a major overhaul on a misused/raped Inazuma (someone made chopper out of it)

I posted the pictures here before..

I know lots of engine parts are the same from oil cooled gsxr and bandit  but I have other parts to be hoarded so I can begin ..

the peg assy's are no longer there because the dude made a forword control unit , so wich assy's can be used , ? are the bandit's interchangeble ? or even the GSXR one's?

I would like to have a pair of  nice second hand fancy aftermark items , not the boring oem stuff..  so this is mostely done on bandit's and gsxr's

The left and right handle control units have been cut and lenghtend by half a meter to get this ape hang handlebar mounted...(don't ask..)

So I wont cut them again and solder the lot togheter , wich really is a breakdown waiting to happen..they are about 50 euro a pair so just need to know if they are the same

on the bandit/gsxr and also the water cooled models? I noticed there is a choke lever on the left swith unit..

The headers seem heavy aswell , I have my eye on a  COMPLETE devil 4-2-1 system , from a oil cooled gsxr , the headers should be no problem me thinks , but will the rest

have the clearance under and of the side off the bike? Did someone mount a header or a complete system from an early gsxr1000 aswell , they have standard oem titanium headers wich are being sold at the moment for the price of scrap metal..don't know if they have the same spacing or clear the engine at the bottom thouw..

also don't like the tank , to ballooney for me , will a gsx1400 tank fit with not lots of trouble? (I'm working on a gsx1100et tank to fit at the moment but have lots of issues..)

cheers

Peter

cheers

Peter

If you can post some pics of where the joins on the switch cables are, they may be a simple fix. The obvious way to lengthen one is to cut the connector block off, lengthen the wires with soldered joins, and then seal it all up (with sellotape, obviously O.o). All you may need to do is to cut the wires back a little, put a new crimp connector on each wire and put them all in a new connector block. Jap 2.8mm connectors, blocks and crimp tools freely available and they don't cost a lot.

Regarding the footrest assy measure the mounting points and post up the distance between them , I know @fatblokeonbandit found out the rear sets off a wn model gsxr ( i think ) fits the bandit  so maybe the 'Zuma is the same .... Presuming your knees are bendy enough for rear sets of course :o

Edited by DAZ
Addition

bandit footrest won't fit the zuma frame, completely different. as to the tank i'm with you on that, not keep meself !!!!  but you will struggle to find a tank to fit, the top frame rails are to wide for a "normal" tank to fit without some surgery.  but a Katana tank fits fairly easy.  

4 hours ago, Dezza said:

If you can post some pics of where the joins on the switch cables are, they may be a simple fix. The obvious way to lengthen one is to cut the connector block off, lengthen the wires with soldered joins, and then seal it all up (with sellotape, obviously O.o). All you may need to do is to cut the wires back a little, put a new crimp connector on each wire and put them all in a new connector block. Jap 2.8mm connectors, blocks and crimp tools freely available and they don't cost a lot.

nope cut clean thru in the middle and then connector clamp type of joins..  also stripped of the outer hose and all taped together with cellutape , not clean at all..

i87.jpg

24 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

bandit footrest won't fit the zuma frame, completely different. as to the tank i'm with you on that, not keep meself !!!!  but you will struggle to find a tank to fit, the top frame rails are to wide for a "normal" tank to fit without some surgery.  but a Katana tank fits fairly easy.  

cheers Tony , most afermarket footrest are for a bandit , make sense cos of the sale numbers..

Not looking for the katana look Tony , and aren't they as rare as hen's teeth by now??

3 hours ago, DAZ said:

Regarding the footrest assy measure the mounting points and post up the distance between them , I know @fatblokeonbandit found out the rear sets off a wn model gsxr ( i think ) fits the bandit  so maybe the 'Zuma is the same .... Presuming your knees are bendy enough for rear sets of course :o

the centerdistance looks to be 40mm Daz , could very well be the bandits are a bit larger

i89.jpg

i88.jpg

24 minutes ago, Peterv said:

the centerdistance looks to be 40mm Daz , could very well be the bandits are a bit larger

i89.jpg

i88.jpg

Then I think it is time to source a set of foot rests and fabricate some adapter plates to fit them 

3 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

the tanks are getting hard to find and fecking expensive O.o but they look good on a zuma :D

20210622_141358.jpg

that's an understatement Tony this bike is stunning.., but this is a complete makeover , tank , seat , fairing , sidepanels , the lot..I'm just trying to get a 80's look ET ..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Peterv said:

.I'm just trying to get a 80's look ET ..

you will have to do some major surgery on the underside of the ET tank to make it fit, or modify the frame. !!!  :/ 

as to footrest hangers  i used some thick ally plate and made my own, could never find zuma ones in the UK, but they doo come up sometimes over in France.  if you click on the pic and zoom in you can see the hangers i made and bolted bandit pegs to it :tu  

13 minutes ago, Paulm said:

I had one with EFE bodywork on it a few years ago,may be an option for you?

I allready got the ET tail and taillight , guilianni saddle , Paul , if all tanks fail  (modefieing a et  tank or a 1400)maybe I would look in a efe tank but not the complete EFE bodywork.

7 minutes ago, Peterv said:

I allready got the ET tail and taillight , guilianni saddle , Paul , if all tanks fail  (modefieing a et  tank or a 1400)maybe I would look in a efe tank but not the complete EFE bodywork.

I did contemplate fitting an ET tank to my zuma but couldn't find anyone local who would take the tank mod's on, thats why i went down the Kat route.  could of got the frame modified  but decided against it in the end.  I think the frame mod is the way to go as you could fit other tanks if needed at a later date. 

On 3/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, TonyGee said:

I did contemplate fitting an ET tank to my zuma but couldn't find anyone local who would take the tank mod's on, thats why i went down the Kat route.  could of got the frame modified  but decided against it in the end.  I think the frame mod is the way to go as you could fit other tanks if needed at a later date. 

I don't think I will modify the frame Tony , I would have to cut the beams on the top of the frame , and so will drasticly weaken the frame , cos on the top beams is where all the strengt is...

I think it would be easyer to fit a inazuma engine in a ET frame , but there is about 20 years of frame technology between a ET and a inazuma..and we all know the 80's jap frame reputation ...Martin , Bakker and other frame builders did good business then.. 

cheers

Peter

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Peterv said:

I don't think I will modify the frame Tony , I would have to cut the beams on the top of the frame , and so will drasticly weaken the frame , cos on the top beams is where all the strengt is...

I don't know !!!  with a bit of ingenuity it could be slimed down and strengthened with gussets.  just having a look at my Katzuma project pic. 

20200607_141143.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TonyGee said:

I don't know !!!  with a bit of ingenuity it could be slimed down and strengthened with gussets.  just having a look at my Katzuma project pic. 

20200607_141143.jpg

Cheers Tony (y)

I will keep this foto as reference for my build..

Is there a reason you kept the airbox on the bike?  I did read that they are all but impossible to remove..

But I think they look ugly and heavy... a couple of K&N 's and a stage kit would surely liven up the party...

Peter

On 3/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, Peterv said:

nope cut clean thru in the middle and then connector clamp type of joins..  also stripped of the outer hose and all taped together with cellutape , not clean at all..

i87.jpg

Throw that switch gear in the bin and buy a pair of b12 ones. I might even have a couple in the hoard you can have 

2 hours ago, Peterv said:

Cheers Tony (y)

I will keep this foto as reference for my build..

Is there a reason you kept the airbox on the bike?  I did read that they are all but impossible to remove..

But I think they look ugly and heavy... a couple of K&N 's and a stage kit would surely liven up the party...

Peter

this bike was a ground up build, started with the 750 frame and fitted a B12 engine, the problem i had was the B12 carb tops got in the way of the tank so went with the B600 32mm carbs, I decided to use a zuma airbox to save fucking around with jetting, it all worked out perfect with no changes to the settings of the carbs. its the same set up a 1200 inazuma uses and also the GS1200SS.  I also like the way the bike runs with smaller carbs with the increase of bottom end and mid range grunt.  im doing the same thing with the GS im building atm. :tu

by the way you can't fit or remove the airbox with the engine in place, yeah i found out the hard way :$

45 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

this bike was a ground up build, started with the 750 frame and fitted a B12 engine, the problem i had was the B12 carb tops got in the way of the tank so went with the B600 32mm carbs, I decided to use a zuma airbox to save fucking around with jetting, it all worked out perfect with no changes to the settings of the carbs. its the same set up a 1200 inazuma uses and also the GS1200SS.  I also like the way the bike runs with smaller carbs with the increase of bottom end and mid range grunt.  im doing the same thing with the GS im building atm. :tu

by the way you can't fit or remove the airbox with the engine in place, yeah i found out the hard way :$

Yeah that is what I read also over here , about the airbox  , thing is , it has these chrome sidecovers , and I absolutely HATE chrome on a bike (a chopper isn't a motorbike baby...;-) and take away these covers and it just looks like a big lump of plastic..

Also when I put the bike back on the road it has to be Mot'd again , and  with all these EU inviromental shit I don't know if it will pas without an airbox..

I think I should take it firts there and then do the airbox , but then the engin needs to drop ..if all is painted and such  ..not a nice option..

I do some carbon work on the side , maybe I'll take mold of these chrome things and replace them with carbon , I'm sure there is a market for these aswell..

cheers

Peter

2 hours ago, davecara said:

Throw that switch gear in the bin and buy a pair of b12 ones. I might even have a couple in the hoard you can have 

Cheers dave , I'll keep you in mind(y)

when I start the build  I will make a list of all the things I need , we can agree on a price , and ship all at once..

cos you funny lot no being part of the EU no more (and how I wish we did the same..) shipping from EU to UK and virsa versa is a real rip off..

They charge me 21% taxes and 18 euro custom fee's on top of the shipping ...those Eu beaurocrats are screwing us over like there's no tomorrow..:vu:

cheers

Peter

51 minutes ago, Peterv said:

Yeah that is what I read also over here , about the airbox  , thing is , it has these chrome sidecovers , and I absolutely HATE chrome on a bike (a chopper isn't a motorbike baby...;-) and take away these covers and it just looks like a big lump of plastic..

Also when I put the bike back on the road it has to be Mot'd again , and  with all these EU inviromental shit I don't know if it will pas without an airbox..

I think I should take it firts there and then do the airbox , but then the engin needs to drop ..if all is painted and such  ..not a nice option..

I do some carbon work on the side , maybe I'll take mold of these chrome things and replace them with carbon , I'm sure there is a market for these aswell..

cheers

Peter

you could always fit the airbox for now and get it on the road, then pull the carbs off and sacrifice the airbox by cutting it so it can be removed !!  on my Katzuma it didn't look that bad as i didn't use the chrome covers.  but a bit of carbon wrap might look ok. 

20210628_135611.jpg

5 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

you could always fit the airbox for now and get it on the road, then pull the carbs off and sacrifice the airbox by cutting it so it can be removed !!  on my Katzuma it didn't look that bad as i didn't use the chrome covers.  but a bit of carbon wrap might look ok. 

20210628_135611.jpg

I don't do carbo wrap Tony its the real deal..

brr3.jpg

dirk3.jpg

duc1.jpg

duc11.jpg

kz10.jpg

20140310_231240.jpg

20150228_172542.jpg

20150301_151518.jpg

20150301_151534.jpg

kz1.jpg

• Like 6