GSXR 11 what are these on frame ????

Ive just bought this 1100 L for parts and wondered what the two bosses each side of the headstock are for, they don't seem to serve any purpose they look like they have been there from factory. I've had a few gsxr's in the past and never seen this before anyone with any ideas. Cheers20240115_152407.thumb.jpg.fd69c404d9b36df45873039696ee7fea.jpg20240115_152149.thumb.jpg.097b6146b720df2a255af03bfae1e1d5.jpg20240115_152226.thumb.jpg.f9a563b990313bce1b91ac0896e59bee.jpg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

Definitely normal. Few frames have them, feck knows why??

Ive never seen them before on an L but as you say some frames have them, my guess is they are prime for drilling and tapping for maybe a fairing brackets ???  just a guess :/

• Like 1

Yeah, have 2 11L frames here with them on it. Only thing I can think of that Suzuki might have designed them for a future headlight subframe design mounts that they never went with. Either that or the raised bosses are some sort of reinforcement experiment seeing as it's only on some 1990 L frames and was never used in other years after.

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Yeah, have 2 11L frames here with them on it. Only thing I can think of that Suzuki might have designed them for a future headlight subframe design mounts that they never went with. Either that or the raised bosses are some sort of reinforcement experiment seeing as it's only on some 1990 L frames and was never used in other years after.

Sounds logical, I've never seen them before this one.

Kinda like the idea that they were potential mounting points. Maybe they considered a b12 like top fairing. Originated the birth of the b12 from that moment. Kinda makes sense because we all love the looks of these bikes naked, they might have thought the same at Suzuki.